Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
What are the top 10 spare parts you keep for your c900?
1. Transmission
2. Transmission
3. Transmission
4. Transmission
5. Transmission
6. Transmission
7. Transmission
8. Transmission
9. Transmission
10. Transmission

·
Registered
800 Posts
But seriously, this is a general list of stuff I like to keep on hand:

1. Transmissions
2. Good used OEM heater control valves (only Scantech are available new and they are crap)
3. Lights and lenses
4. Switches/servos
5. Axles/CV joints
6. Interior/exterior trim pieces
7. Glass
8. Wheels
9. Fuel pumps
10. Fuel injection components

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But seriously, this is a general list of stuff I like to keep on hand:

1. Transmissions
2. Good used OEM heater control valves (only Scantech are available new and they are crap)
3. Lights and lenses
4. Switches/servos
5. Axles/CV joints
6. Interior/exterior trim pieces
7. Glass
8. Wheels
9. Fuel pumps
10. Fuel injection components
So transmissions plural? Do lots of guys have multiple gearboxes set aside?

·
7,595 Posts
Would the lists be substantially different?
Sure, you are not going to bring along an extra radiator support or headlights on a long trip. A few Items you might actually need on the road are-

ECU
Fuel pump assembly
Clutch slave cyl
Clutch Line
Ignition amplifier
Voltage Regulator
Belts
Drive Axle pair
tape
a better jack then the car comes with
tow rope
J-B weld
hose clampps, extra fasteners
an "on the road tool bag"
Jumper cables
Coolant, oil, power-steering fluid
hammer

Just off the top of my head.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Sure, you are not going to bring along an extra radiator support or headlights on a long trip. A few Items you might actually need on the road are-

ECU
Fuel pump assembly
Clutch slave cyl
Clutch Line
Ignition amplifier
Voltage Regulator
Belts
Drive Axle pair
tape
a better jack then the car comes with
tow rope
J-B weld
hose clampps, extra fasteners
an "on the road tool bag"
Jumper cables
Coolant, oil, power-steering fluid
hammer

Just off the top of my head.
That looks good.

Here's some that I do:

The next time you change your distributor cap/rotor/wires it would be a good idea to stash them in the fender well. Keep old plugs around too, in case you break an insulator while checking them or something. Worth noting too that keeping one in the cabin will double as a glass breaker.

Always buy the best duct tape you can find (gorilla tape, 3m). The cheap stuff isn't worth shit!

I also now carry an "electrical jury rig" kit in the trunk. Main components would be a coil of braided copper wire, some electrical tape, an in-line fuse, and a test light or multimeter. This has gotten me home before when I otherwise would not have.

Also something that I view as absolutely crucial, is a flat tire kit. Get one of the ones that has the plugs (strips of gooey stuff), with the two tools that let you clean out the hole in the tire with a round file and then insert the plug. There is nothing better than getting a flat, and seeing the screw or nail, and then fixing it on the spot and pumping up the tire without ever taking it off the car.

Another thing, is to get one of the *good* electrical jump boxes, that has the built in air compressor/schraeder valve. The batteries in these better ones will start your car many times on one charge, and the compressor will pump up a fixed flat tire enough to make it to a gas station one to finish the job so that you don't have to break a sweat with a bike pump.

Always have a few scraps of sandpaper for cleaning electrical contacts.

Bailing wire. Can do many things, from holding a shock onto a broken mount to holding up a broken exhaust.

Extra relays. Grab a full set at a junkyard. Don't forget the brake relays on the right side of the bay, and the fuel pump relay.

Extra fuel level senders. These things are the bane of my existence. I do not know why, but I have broken like 3 or 4 in two years. They are easy to swap though. I need to get some more, actually. I currently don't have a working one.

Zip ties. Very useful.

First aid kit with compress pad. Stop the bleeding, save a life.

For night time repairs, get a camping head lamp LED. Keeps your hands free and always points at what you're looking at.

For rain repairs, keep a rain jacket in the trunk. Also good for when you need to crawl around under the car and don't want to get too dirty.

A spare AMM couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Extra fuel level senders. These things are the bane of my existence. I do not know why, but I have broken like 3 or 4 in two years. They are easy to swap though. I need to get some more, actually. I currently don't have a working one.
Ugh tell me about it, mine dropped out a couple months ago, currently it has one that only reads up to 3/4 full, so its mostly an estimate of remaining fuel. They're getting really really hard to find in good shape at the junkyard. Are all your broken ones sitting in the bottom of your tank rolling around or did you manage to fish them out?

Paul

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
I've fished all but one out. I went to replace the last one, and realized my spare was broken too! Now I just have the top of one in there to seal it off, and fill up every 200 miles or so (highway) to be safe. I almost want to put a little set-screw in the next one I install.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Wow I must be the luckiest guy on the earth cause I don't carry anything in the car on long trips...

I do suggest a Battery pack, AND jumper cables. My cars eat batteries like they're candy. - All of them, it's weird.

Besides Jumper cables, the only thing that I have kept in most of my 900s and 99's are those clip-on wires for the fuse box. I've used them more than once for fans or fuel pumps when a fuse or relay go...

ebay is my storage shed. If I need something, ebay has had it 95% of the time. I do have three of the same radios for my SPG. (wanna make sure if one goes bad, i have another one.)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Ugh tell me about it, mine dropped out a couple months ago, currently it has one that only reads up to 3/4 full, so its mostly an estimate of remaining fuel. They're getting really really hard to find in good shape at the junkyard. Are all your broken ones sitting in the bottom of your tank rolling around or did you manage to fish them out?

Paul
how easy are they to replace actually? When I fill up my '91 c900 with like 12 gallons of fuel it only reads 3/4 full too, but that like 12 gallons from the reserve light, isn't the tank 18 gallons? That's what the owners manual says.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
-cap
-rotar
-ignition amp
-slave cyl
-new sheatmealte for rust repair
-new body for when rust overcomes the shell
-wire wheel for taking rust off
-list of cool things to call rust to lessen embarrassment among friends (Weight reduction, speed holes, brown mod, character scars ect ect)
-tranmission
CPS (for 2.1 NA car)
-mass airflow meter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts