Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some foam-backed headliner material at a fabric store and need to know if it's best to spray the entire headliner with adhesive and then lay the material or do small sections at a time working my way across from one end to the next? I'm not certain how the material will conform to the headliner and don't want to end up with junk and have to spend another $40 on material.
Also, is it best to lay the material and then cut it to fit or to use the factory liner as a template and cut the fabric beforehand. I assume the first method is correct but since I've never worked with anything like this it's best to verify. All pointers appreciated.
Thanks in advance fellas.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
don't attempt to cut to fit before hand. Always cut off the excess last.

As far as how to lay the fabric, I have typically always done mine in about 3 sections. I also spray both the fiberglass backer, as well as the foam backed fabric, let it tack up, then go to town on getting it to lay in correctly.

One thing I always do is to first work with the sections that are the most dished in, typically that is right above the heads of the rear seat passengers...but on a ng900 og9-3 it might not be as big of a deal where you start first, not sure.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
^ Yep, cut after. Then spray and fold over the excess.

Do the main part in large sections. And make sure to work all the way into the recessed areas.

Get all the old foam off too.

What kind of spray adhesive are you using? That 3M 74 foam stuff? That seems to work well for me.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Got a sunroof? If so, I like to start right under the sunroof. I definitely agree with JK on the 3 section approach, and [email protected]@'s right: get all the old foam off. I buy my adhesive from a local foam supplier, made especially for the job. Can't remember the name of it though. Look for something that will hold up to high heat. I usually start off with 3 cans(end up using 2-2.5 cans). do spray both foam and headliner and let it tack up before applying. Don't saturate the foam or it'll "leak" through and look like hell. Do cut when you're finished. Good luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I am indeed using the 3M stuff. I was worried it would stick and not allow me to smooth out imperfections. I'm hoping it will have the necessary wiggle room because if it adheres tight at first contact the job will be near impossible. I assumed one can would suffice. Guess I better pick up additional.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
There is no "the 3M stuff"

They have a very wide variety of trim adhesive and other spray adhesives. Some work fucking wonderful, others like shit. The last few I have spent the cash and used either Super 77 or High-Strength 90. Both of those headliners held up very well. I've used some of their cheaper stuff in the past and had to re-do them.

Personally, with how much of a PITA it can be to do and make look good, I'd rather spend the extra money and make it last.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Last time I did this I used micro suede and some sticky stuff from the fabric store. I spent near 100 bucks on fabric and glue. I did it right over the top of the old headliner as microfiber is thin and I used the other stuff as backing. Microsuede does not stretch at all, which made it very hard. This time I got a more stretchy material and will see how that goes in the new car.

I really like dark/black headliners....

I am about to embark on another headliner. Will let the link know when this one is done. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts