Saab Link Forums banner

Tire recommendations for Viggen?

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  viggenluca 
#1 ·
I need at least two new tires for the Viggen.

My priorities are:
1. Dry Handling
2. Noise
3. Ride Comfort
4. Wet handling
5. Price (always a factor)

This Houston car will never see snow, but we get a good rain once in a while. I've been running Nitto NeoGens, and I like them pretty well, except that when they get about half-worn, they get scary in the wet. Even though wet handling's not a high priority, I don't want to be scared.

This is a big horsepower car that has been breathed on by Nick T.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Dave

#2 ·
Check out tire rack - size 225 45 17 summer tires

Best deal - hankook ventus v12 evo k110 - $368 for the set, average rating of 8.6

Highest rated - Continental extreme contact DW - $568 for the set, top rated for summer tires average rating of 9 and includes a free GPS!

Tire rack reviews the tires and rates based on categories, handling, noise, wet traction, etc.

#4 ·
$11 more per tire than the Hankooks and rated 8.0 vs. 8.6

They are a good tire, had them prior to getting the Hankooks, only needed two but bought all 4 due to the price.

Still have two with decent tread if you are interested - I pass through North Andover on my way to work each day...225-45-17's

$75 takes the pair

Sorry for the threadjack ViggenDave

#6 · (Edited)
I've got these.

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (bit of a mouth full)

When I bought them, they were a few bucks less per tire and there was a $20 mail in rebate on them, but I'd buy them again at their current price.

Great traction all around, and surprisingly grippy in the rain, the tire rack survey gives them an 8.5 for wet traction.

They can be a bit noisy on certain road surfaces, but its more of a higher pitch then a low droning, it doesn't bother me at all.

I've got somewhere between 5-6k miles on them and they seem to be wearing great.

#10 ·
Being from Houston as well, I had the BFG g-force sports on my 9k Aero....besides the noise they made they were amazing tires. But I'm in school in IN during the winter, and after barely making it a few times with the BFG's, decided on the all season route. Picked up some Dunlop Signature Sports. They stick better than the BFG's in a straight line and go through water like nothing I have ever driven. I did an autox in the rain at the beginning of summer. They would actually get to the point of squeeling. They had that much grip. But they are a fair bit mushy compared to the BFG's and don't respond quite as quickly. This winter I'll see how they stack up in the snow.

#12 · (Edited)
In 2006, I had my Viggen Vert shod with Kumho Ecsta ASX Ultra-High-Performance A/S tires, based on reviews and price. They developed cupping and became noisy. Didn't last two years.

After more research, I moved to Yokohama AVID W4S UHP A/S tires (215/45x17) and have loved them. I wanted a year-round tire for mid-Atlantic weather conditions (no significant snow driving). Very competitively priced, great handling and wearing well after two years. You can certainly spend more but I believe you'd be happy with the Yokos.

NOTE: Looks like the new version of the Yokos is AVID ENVigor, based on TireRack at $101 each.

#16 ·
I

I love most dunlops. They don't make what I love (FM901s) anymore, but they were the best tire EVER. I have an extra set for the SPG in the garage. For the Viggen I went with Dunlop Sport Maxx. They had a close out on Tire rack and I got 4 for like 320. + mail in rebate. it was crazy cheap. Now they are $100 a tire.

Whatever you do do not get these I actually never saw how much they cost new ($240 OMG) they are horrible! I can spin the Viggen all the way up to 70 in the rain. Cornering is horrible except in perfect hot weather. - I got a set cause they were $270 for 4 off a crashed Scion.

They are dangerous on these cars if you like driving.

I'd recommend the Dunlops mentioned about just because of the other Dunlops i've had and will buy again.

#17 ·
Thanks, Saablink friends, for all the advice.

I decided on the Hankooks. After reading the Car and Driver 2009 tire test article, it seemed like in balance, they fit my neeeds better than the Dunlops, which actually won the comparison.

I get them at Discount Tire. They will match the online price if you ask, and you still have a local merchant in case of problems. They've ordered them they'll arrive in 2 business days.

#18 ·
I'm anxious to hear how the Hankooks workout and hope you'll give us an update in 6 mos. a year, etc.

#19 ·
I'm looking at buying tires this week as well and had a technical question which is I'm sure an easy answer. You all are talking 225/45/17's on 94's... my current tire is a goodyear assurance 195/60/15 87h. Pretty good minus wearing out earlier than it should have. So to what extent can you mix match tire dimensions? Stock rims and the size 15 won't change, but the rest are fine tuning your tire??

#21 · (Edited)
Your assumption that it's an easy answer is not necessarily the case.

First up, what model SAAB are you talking about? With 195/60x15 as standard, I gather it's a Classic 900...yes?

If you're looking to change tires from your standard size but not increase wheel size, and are using "stock" wheels, you should visit this website to see what changing tire sizes means as far as wheel rotation and accuracy in speedometer readings: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

If you're looking to add wider tires, the ideal upgrade is 215/55x15, provided you have the room for the added sidewall height. While 235/50x15 tires would also be compatible, rotation wise, they are likely to be too tall for the wheel well and too wide for your stock wheels, which on a Classic 900 are 5.5" wide.

There is also a wealth of information on TireRack.com regarding what wheel and tire size numbers and ratings all mean, which is worth your time as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.