Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Jesus. Those are SRS BSNS. Even though those clear "s" class reqs, most people with passenger cars just use cables or a very low profile chain.

I used a lightweight chain on my c900 last winter and it worked great. Only complaint was the tensioners scratched up the SPG wheels that were on the car at the time.

PS - WalMart had mine for like $55.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
Jesus. Those are SRS BSNS. Even though those clear "s" class reqs, most people with passenger cars just use cables or a very low profile chain.

I used a lightweight chain on my c900 last winter and it worked great. Only complaint was the tensioners scratched up the SPG wheels that were on the car at the time.

PS - WalMart had mine for like $55.

???

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Mammoth, CA? I'm mildly jealous. I'm a 5.5hr drive from there, which makes it only do-able for long weekends, something I don't get enough of. :)

It's definitely in my top 3 favorite mountains, if not the best.

Honestly, I don't think traction is going to be your biggest issue -- I think it will be ground clearance. They get some monster dumps up that way... frequently 12-36" at a time... and depending on plows... well, you know.

Will you be a lift op? IIRC, I think they have a bus system in town. Might be worth looking into?

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts

???
List of Central/Southern California Ski Resorts :)

Southern Sierra Nevada
Badger Pass - Yosemite National Park
Bear Valley - Angels Camp
Dodge Ridge - Sonora
June Mountain - June Lake
Mammoth - Mammoth Lakes
China Peak (formerly Sierra Summit) - Lakeshore

Southern California
Alta Sierra - Wofford Heights
Buckhorn Ski and Snowboard Club - Three Points (private)
Bear Mountain - Big Bear Lake
Kratka Ridge -
Mount Baldy Ski Lifts - Mount Baldy
Mount Waterman - Three Points
Mountain High - Wrightwood
Snow Summit - Big Bear Lake
Snow Valley Mountain Resort - Running Springs

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
So you're trying to tell me that socal has everything new england offers, but with more hipsters?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'd run 15" wheels and some small rubber (like 175, or 185's MAX) if you want to run chains. There isn't much room around an Aero wheel on an Aero. The last thing you want is to bottom out and chew the plastic lining out of your wheelwell.

Personally, if it were me, moving to Mammoth with an Aero......

......I'd ride with a friend, or seriously buy some uber-gnarly studded snows. Does an Aero do okay in the snow? Sure it does. Mine has never left me stranded in ANY vermont winter conditions, over the last 8 years.

That being said...is there just some point where you need to holler "whoa" in the horserace and just admit that your car is overmatched for the conditions? Fahk yeah, especially when you have 5" of ground clearance, max.

Don't push it with the Aero. If its THAT shitty, plan ahead and be where you need to be when the strorm starts, or find a buddy with a 4x4 to ride with for the day.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when its bad they're required by law. Thats why I'm moving to mammoth, there is a bus system. The clearance is what I was worried about but I want drive out there with 16s because it will be way smoother.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.