Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a stock 4 cyl 2.3 L Turbo Aero has a considerable amount of turbo lag and hence is kinda slow off the line until you get into higher rpms. THis could be easily fixed if my car was a manual but no I opted for the automatic. Don't hate me I just sat in the car and test drove it and after I felt the turbo I didn't really care plus the car is just a sexy beast. I was wondering what you all would suggest to maybe reduce turbo lag or in crease initial acceleration off the line. Keep in ming I have put it in sport and dropped it into first gear but never revd the engine then dropped it in drive. MY cars mods are stock but with cat back and cold air. Keep in mind I need tips on how to do it with what I have got not with performance parts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Is this your car, or does this belong to someone else?

If it's someone else's car, then you can try revving it hard and dropping it into gear, but you'll risk blowing the tranny. I've never done this because I like transmissions. They're among my closest friends....

If it's your car, then you might want to consider a manual boost controller that will give you a little more low-end torque. NOTE: This isn't going to turn a road-going sedan into a menace at stoplights., but it will help a bit...

The 9-5, like the 9000 Aero, will pin you back in your seat in 3rd gear, but this is a big, heavy, luxury sedan that's not designed to blow away Mustangs. You're actually electronically rev-limited in 1st and 2nd so that you don't rip the tranny out of the thing! :twisted:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OOo Poooo

Well at least the car looks nice.....and sounds nice I guess, but is it wrong for me to wish? Manual boost controller would do it but I'm just scared of voiding my warranty. Paid like 3k plus for it so its kinda nice to have

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Osiris, then you should consider a PPC upgrade of your ECU. This is a plug-and-play way to increase performance without voiding the warranty. You change the car's electronic control unit with a small device that stores the original settings and enables you to change them back for service or emissions testing....

·
Registered
610 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is brake-torquing. Step on the brake with your left leg, rev it up and let off the brakes. It does qualify as an abuse, but it will get you off the line faster.

Next, a very inexpensive upgrade would be an SMBC. The traditional MBC does not work with Trionic, but a ball-spring valve installed in series between a turbo and a BPC does. It works best when paired with a high flow air filter (JR, K&N, etc), and is actually more noticeable with an automatic. Some people swear by it, some really dislike the approach (it's nothing more than a crude sensor trickery, which is somewhat a blasphemy with such a sophysticated engine management system as Trionic7), but it does make a lot of difference on some cars. I tried it on my car, and it noticeably livens up the lower gears with both stock and upgrades ECU.

And of course a PPC or another ECU upgrade would never hurt ;)

·
Administrator
302 Posts
Actually. an MBC can seriously damage your engine.
Since the MBC bypasses the solenoid that controls the turbo pressure the ECU has no way of reducing the pressure if it detects knock. In most cases retardation of the ignition and adding more fuel will be sufficient to resolve knock, but it may not be enough under some circumstances. What will happen is knock and your pistons will be damaged (quick). If you have a 2000 9-5 the pistons are known to be highly sensitive to knock.

A cheaper version of MBC is just to adjust the base boost to what boost you like, it´s just as bad.

If you need more power (and who doesn´t?) go for a BSR PPC or other ECU-upgrades. They will add more power than an MBC and you´re still on the safe side (albeit not as safe as stock).

·
Registered
610 Posts
bollman said:
Actually. an MBC can seriously damage your engine.
Since the MBC bypasses the solenoid that controls the turbo pressure the ECU has no way of reducing the pressure
Yes, a traditional MBC can do that, but we're not talking about that now. A traditional MBC would not even work with Trionic7, as T7 will sense that something is wrong and become upset very quickly. This has been discussed in details on the Saabnet's performance forum more than once. The fundamental difference of the SMBC is not to rob the ECU of the turbo control completely, but only to prevent the initial torque shaping.

This setup does not make any difference while you're at full or partial boost either. The only time you will notice it is during the first few moments when you put you foot down. An MBC should be adjusted to a very mild setting, just a bit beyond the point where you can blow through it with your mouth. Then it's installed between the turbo and the BPC, so the is BPC still a part of the equation, the ECU is still getting the usual boost pressure and other readings, and remains in control. Normally, the ECU will sense the initial pressure raise and shape the torque curve to make the power raise more linear (more civilized). With SMBC, you get a miniature boost explosion -- not enough to throw things off balance, but sufficient to make things interesting ;)

I'm not trying to advocate either approach, I'm just saying things are never black and white. And keep in mind that instant power in any form is not friendly to mechanical components, so I'd rather enjoy passing trucks on the highway than killing Civics at stop lights ;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
SMBC did not work well for me in my Aero automatic and I have become a staunch opponent of the SMBC. This is a fad predicated here on the USA forums by a few while in Europe they are completely shunned as they should be. NO REPUTIBLE SAAB TUNER SELLS OR INSTALLS MBC OR SMBC IN ANY T7 SAAB! Thats enough for me! (and I know Abbott has one on their website but they are not one of the premiere tuners IMO).

If you want to reduce lag on your 9-5, let it breathe better! This means an open intake and better flowing exhaust. With these two things I think you would be amazed at the difference in off the line throttle response. An open intake and exhaust can be had for around $500. Throw in one of the new MP Performance delivery pipes and you have yourself a very well breathing Saab.

Bollman, your boy Ola Kimrin is doin us right over here kickin for the Redskins. Is this guy getting any press over in Malmo? He has been on Sportscenter and had an article in the Washington Post after kicking a perfect game last Sunday.

·
Registered
610 Posts
xaamottomaax said:
SMBC did not work well for me in my Aero automatic and I have become a staunch opponent of the SMBC. This is a fad predicated here on the USA forums by a few while in Europe they are completely shunned as they should be.
Heh, to be precise, there are promoted by a SINGLE person on Saabnet. But he's rather persistent in doing that. And yeah, by another guy who sells them. It worked surprisingly well for me, but I took it off after the ECU upgrade.

·
Registered
475 Posts
:lol: I guess you are right about the one person thing. We have debated a few times on TSN about this. The interesting thing about the device is how much it varies from car to car. There was no increase in anything (boost, throttle response, off the line accel) when installed in my 2000 automatic with Chipcenter ECU but then when I put one in my 2003 manual BSR stage 1, I could dial up any boost I wanted without CEL. It DEFINATELY made the car faster but no doubt with safety thrown out the window.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts