Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to remove the timing cover without removing the head?
have any of you done it.... i wanna say on a dis-assembly i took the timing cover off before removing the head but i cant remember 100% if i really did (i have rebuild engines for my ng waayyy to many times)

and anyone try to remove the timing cover without pulling the engine (i dont feel like going through that again right now if i dont have to)

the reason im asking is that for some reason after hard throttles my chain gets too tight and i have to remove the tensioner and reset it to make this squeaking cease from behind the valve cover

the timing chain on my car is brand new (sub 50mi)

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I just checked the WIS and it states that you do need to remove the head

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Cover will come off with the head on, although I usually pull the pan so you've got 1 less surface to try and seal when you re-install the cover. you may be able to pull the cover with the engine in, but it'll be tight and you end up doing the whole job with no room. I've always just pulled the engine. All those torx bolts would suck with the engine in. If you end up needing guides you will need to pull the head to replace the one on the exhaust side.

P.S. that's a crazy problem you're having, never been there.

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked the WIS and it states that you do need to remove the head
well ive been able to do things differently than WIS states
doesnt it say you should remove the engine to replace the timing chain

i replaced it in bout 40min in my garage without engine removal

Cover will come off with the head on, although I usually pull the pan so you've got 1 less surface to try and seal when you re-install the cover. you may be able to pull the cover with the engine in, but it'll be tight and you end up doing the whole job with no room. I've always just pulled the engine. All those torx bolts would suck with the engine in
well i would of course remove the oil pan...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Ya i noticed the WIS tellsyou to do much extra unneeded work for certain things
well ive been able to do things differently than WIS states
doesnt it say you should remove the engine to replace the timing chain

i replaced it in bout 40min in my garage without engine removal

well i would of course remove the oil pan...

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. that's a crazy problem you're having, never been there.
well you see im not 100% whats going on... i have new guides and a new timing chain sprocket (one on the crank)

so im replacing the simple things (less costly) before i assume its a bent crank or something (i do have another crank sitting aside)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I replaced a timing cover with the engine in the bay and without removing the head.

Its a pain in the bum and tight spot galore but it can be done. Also have to remove the alternator, A/C, PS and waterpump IIRC.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts

this is what i found when i looked at my timing guides on my 9-5---- i wonder how long untill this when catastrophic

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is what i found when i looked at my timing guides on my 9-5---- i wonder how long untill this when catastrophic
well i know the top of my guides dont look like that but who knows...
ill attempt at it soon

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
i didnt see that untill i pulled a cam gear off. the chain was covering it.

when i got inside i found that the balence shaft chain was about to break as well

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm... well now you got me thinking
should i spend a lil money on this engine to keep it going
or
spend alot of money on my engine thats at the machine shop? (forged pistons,etc..)

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Also note, this motor had 240k miles on it, and as far as i could tell it had never been opened up befores (sans T5 cam install)

what scares me the most is how quite and rattle free this motor was,, you would never know it was about to blow when you heard it run

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
You can remove the cover with the head on....did it on my motor when it was out of the car.

Also had the cover off the same motor before when it was in a car (with the head off). Not a fun job at all...it also ended up leaking. The right way to do it is to put the cover on BEFORE the head or oil pan go on.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
You can remove the cover with the head on....did it on my motor when it was out of the car.

Also had the cover off the same motor before when it was in a car (with the head off). Not a fun job at all...it also ended up leaking. The right way to do it is to put the cover on BEFORE the head or oil pan go on.
i have done this on 91-93 9ks, but they have a very different timing cover design.

if you dont remove either the head, or oil pan, you risk the head gasket.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Yeah, this was the ng900 I was talking about. The motor out of the car was one that wasn't going to be re-used. On a 9k you've also got much more room to work with thru the fender well than a 900/9-3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts