Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today's temperature was in the low 30s, last night was 25 and there are small ice puddles everywhere in the morning. Today after coming home I saw some flurries falling from the skies. What does that mean? Winter is here!!

I promptly went to the garage, pulled my worn out summer tires and installed my winter studded tires. They are Gislaved Nord Frost 65Q in 185/65-15 size, mounted to SAAB steelies. Swedish tires for a Swedish car.

I took it for a drive, found them noisier, but more comfortable than the stock 205/50-16 Michelin Pilots. Steering feel is reduced a bit, but it grips better on lose dirt. I am awaiting the snow...

What do you guys use for winter tires, and when do you switch up?

Post pics of your SAAB with them on (preferably with snow, mine snow pics will come soon).

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
225/45 continental somethingorothers. used to only ever run haaka's till they got ridiculously expensive.

usually switch over around thanksgiving or later pending the storm load by then. probably earlier this year since im on rt615's now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
225/50 16s. not sure what brand but I have winter tires on the fronts and high perf. summer tires on the back.

This past winter was the first time I had driven it in snow. I was very happy with how well it did in the snow.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
General Altimax Arctic 195/something/15s on mismatched but equal weight steelies.

Due to some... interesting and unforseen challenges, primarily related to the spouse who has been driving it, the 9-3 has been sitting on these since last December while my Mom-mobile (9-5 wagon) rolls on the wheels and tires that actually belonged to the 9-3. :mad:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch, I see all that salt on you guys car and it makes me cringe, imagining the whole car slowly corroding away. I am glad we don't get our roads salted here!!!

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
That was after a 200 mile trip on an icky day... both my '99 and my '02 have been New England cars since day 1, and the only real rust on either of them is on the liftgate of the '99 where it looks like it's been hit. You just have to clean and dry everything real well.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Uh, well, it's going to be 75 deg F today. BUT, here's a shot of the 9-5 and 9-7 in the driveway after last December's first snowstorm...

Blizzaks on the 9-5, stock all season's on the 9-7:

Oh, wait. You can't see much there eh? LOL!

Okay, here's the 9-5 Aero with summer shoes on, Micheline Pilot Primacys on 17" BBS Aero wheels:

Same with the Blizzaks on 16" Linear wheels -- this shot was taken the morning after driving 8 hours in an ice-storm back from a client meeting in Atlantic City:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It was 105*F in LA yesterday - I went paintballing in a t-shirt.

Back in Chicago I went through a set of Blizzak WS-50's on the SPG that were really nice in the slushy crap that we have there, and decent when I took it up to MN to see the woman's family. Thing would plow through anything.

Then a set of Nordfrost-2's that went on the 9k Aero in Chicago, and they were even more amazing - could accelerate full throttle w/ stage 3 software in heavy downpour with standing water, even better in the powder, but they were also 185-wide on the 9k.

Wanted to try a set of WS-60's, but moved down here to the land of never-ending sunshine (it has not rained since last March.... I shit you not. Not one single day.)

The brush-fires are getting kind of out of control.

Drew

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was 105*F in LA yesterday - I went paintballing in a t-shirt.
It was 17 degrees here this morning and I went for a four mile run.

(it has not rained since last March.... I shit you not. Not one single day.)
I miss that about California, lived there for four years. I hate rain but love snow.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i'm lucky and have a whole car dedicated to winter. If you think i'd drive the SPG or Viggen in winter you're crazy!

They are winterforce I believe made by Bridgestone. They are awesome in the snow.
I too have a car dedicated to winter, such a nice feeling knowing rust isn't killing the other car (further). You could just sell me that NG however, you know I want it, but instead you use it as a winter beater.. :rolleyes:

Um, I don't think I have pictures of my stud's, they are mounted on 3 spoke vikings. I also have a set of snow tires mounted on steels that I will put on the other NG for when it needs to be moved. No idea what tires, both are just badass.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I too have a car dedicated to winter, such a nice feeling knowing rust isn't killing the other car (further). You could just sell me that NG however, you know I want it, but instead you use it as a winter beater.. :rolleyes:

Um, I don't think I have pictures of my stud's, they are mounted on 3 spoke vikings. I also have a set of snow tires mounted on steels that I will put on the other NG for when it needs to be moved. No idea what tires, both are just badass.
I've tried to sell this thing three times in the last two years with no luck... I came to the conclusion that i need a winter car, so since it's been paid off for 5 years and doesn't need a thing, i'm keeper her. :D

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I too have a set of Winerforce for my 9000 - but they never made it on last year and I won't be using them this year. 15" on Griffen wheels...

Our 9-5 runs the oem 16" sun-burst rim with winterforce up front and some older Italian snows in the rear. 17" Aero Turbines the other 9 months out of the year :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts