Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who wants to start the organizing of one? I'd be more then happy to help - but i'm just not awear of enough roads on my own to put one together alone - perhaps DeLorean wants to do it again :wink: maybe WS - or ERP? I'm always happy to lend a hand and promote. I am good at getting the word out around the web - I belong to over 10 different Saab related Clubs still (and have access 8) ) So I think a Summer meet would be sweet - we could do a Picnic theme too - a lil tail gate action would be killer. Bring your own booze (for those of age of course 8) ) and things of that nature. I think We can top last years PA meet - and stretch the day longer. Anyone willing to take the mic?

If you wanna do this and would like my help - you know how to contact me.

·
7,595 Posts
Well I have a few good ideas. If I host this one, it's going to be in a completely different location than the last one. We had a bit of "traffic trouble" on the last PA run (mini van running at 20 MPH for about 8 miles) :roll: Anyway, I know some great roads up around the newringgold area (lower / central PA) that are simply awesome and have just about no traffic to speak of. Plenty of jumps, 1 lane bridges, gravel patches, and "15 MPH" curves straight up mountains... So, unless someone else wants to plan it, I would be willing to. BS42 already suggested BBQ and perhaps camping for those who want to. Just so happens I know a great place for that too, right on the route I an thinking of, but hey! if someone else wants to plan a meet, please do. I did the last PA meet so if someone in PA wants to plan this one go for it. As for timing, I am thinking that sometime in July or August would be good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
hmm, well i would try to plan it, but i am headed to Penn State for the summer session in about 2 weeks so i wont really have a chance and i dont know the roads up there so i wont be able to plan it up there either. I will probably be able to make it to one at least....but then again i cant even be certain for that.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All i'd ask that if we did host it (DeLorean and I) I think $5 a car (2 person's) would be required to cover food and drink cost - or $5 per head. Dunno yet - I'd hafta just price shit out if we decide to do it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A couple Saabs are gonna be running at Pocono Raceway on 7/24, for a track day/perf driving school why not make it into a PA Saab meet or something?

Let's get some Saabers to sign up for the track day HERE'S the link to sign up.

I'll be there with my Viggen, RobInfo will have his Viggen there, and AndyJ(not sure if they are signed up opn this board) should be there with his 9k Aero.

-Steve

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what we guys who can't put down $200 to race do? I mean - we don't hafta have a cruise - but that's like 1/2 the fun of a meet. Do they have free admission, or is it like $5/$10 to watch the races? I'd be up for it - but then again, we're not familar with the roads up there as much so a cruise could be difficult. It's an option tho that's avail if anyone wants to go for it.

·
7,595 Posts
NVigR8 said:
A couple Saabs are gonna be running at Pocono Raceway on 7/24, for a track day/perf driving school why not make it into a PA Saab meet or something?

Let's get some Saabers to sign up for the track day HERE'S the link to sign up.

I'll be there with my Viggen, RobInfo will have his Viggen there, and AndyJ(not sure if they are signed up opn this board) should be there with his 9k Aero.

-Steve
I like the idea, but the meets I like to have are free for all (except for fuel and personal expences). I am probably going to sign up once I have the cash handy. I was going to be at the prelude meet, but a tree branch took out my car and there was no way it would pass the tech inspection :( bye bye $100. Anyway, That sounds like a fun event but It's not the sort of thing I really had in mind for a saab meet, mainly cause there are a lot of people who can come to a meet but are not willing to drop $200 for a day of racing.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
im gunna put in a vote for a meet somewhere a little closer to western PA so we can maybe get some ohio guys out
but a central PA meet would be good too
im in for whatever, date dependant

·
7,595 Posts
Want to meet there on the 26th? I will be there that weekend. already have a tour set up where we are going down into an old coal mine in that area. kind of fun to see an entire town where the ground is burning :shock:

·
Registered
88 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
so what we guys who can't put down $200 to race do? I mean - we don't hafta have a cruise - but that's like 1/2 the fun of a meet. Do they have free admission, or is it like $5/$10 to watch the races? I'd be up for it - but then again, we're not familar with the roads up there as much so a cruise could be difficult. It's an option tho that's avail if anyone wants to go for it.
Ok, just putting it out there - It'd be nice to see some more saabs out there. I bet it would be free to show up, but not sure. Looking at mappoint, centralia is about an hour from the track. Being from MD, I'm not sure of the roads from around there either.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DeLorean said:
Want to meet there on the 26th? I will be there that weekend. already have a tour set up where we are going down into an old coal mine in that area. kind of fun to see an entire town where the ground is burning :shock:
who are you going with that has a tour??? I love that place btw - very neat history, and I know a fair bit about the place from squaters. Would make for some interesting photo's :p 8)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Centralia looks and sounds neat. Maybe we can get NLspiked02 to this meet being its looks to be about 20-30min from him. But I talked with him last night and he was thinking of getting a WRX :shock: . Neat car and all but i wanna talk with him some more.

I do like the idea of having the meet more west, would be nice to get clevesaab and others from the pitt. area. Even more west then Centralia would probably allow them to come. But i'm not the one running the meet so i'm just sayin.

Ian

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
just throw in my 2 cents....central pa is about 5 hours for some of us...so going any further might mean a hotel or something over night...

also, i was thinking of attempting a meet by me since we have a straight road to drag and theres some good rolling roads around...along with the big ricer car shows on friday nights that we could dominate :lol: ill get back to you guys about it tho

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Tweek's Turbos said:
Who here has been to Centralia? You guys may know it as the coal fires, near Mt. Carmel.
\

:shock: had to do a google search on that one, looks like a fun time, i bet the roads are pretty police free around that place :twisted: . allright then the first annual saab run in a deserted town! :lol:

Paul

·
Registered
363 Posts
I read about someone needing a hotel possibly.

If it makes any sense I always offer anyone to stay at my house. Between my moms house and my friends (2miles down the road) there are plunty of comfortable places to sleep.

Ian

·
7,595 Posts
It sounds like you guys are keen on the Centralia idea. I'll be going up there on the 26th, but I know that's too soon to get a meet all planned and together. Anyway, it will allow me some time to look around and scope things out in Centralia . I am thinking that perhaps we should start out in the central PA area and end up in Centralia? We could spend a few hours looking around in the "town" and seeing the abandoned roads. After that those that are interested could go to see a movie or something. Just tossing some ideas out here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts