Saab Link Forums banner

Time for an SUV

437 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Champ 
#1 ·
So with 2 dogs, a house and the need to schlep stuff around from Home Depot and what not it's time to think about getting an SUV. I never thought I would get to this point but the need dictates I get one. I have been looking into the 9-7x Aero and have found a few in my area in the $19-22k range that are in good shape and under 45k miles on it. I have also been looking into the FX45 but they are at the top of what I am looking to spend so have not put much thought into those.

What are your thoughts on the 9-7x? Any major downfalls or things I should look out for? I am sold 100% on the fact it has a Vette engine and 0-60 of 5.5. But not sold on the Trailblazer look-a-like interior.

#2 ·
Do what I did...buy a wagon. I use the V70R for Home Depot runs....and to pull a trailer. I have two dogs, and it's great being able to put them in the back (there's a gate)....and my son in the back seat. If I need more space for a long trip...I just throw the Thule box on the roof.

My brother in-law has a Ford Expedition...he has two sons, and a dog....he's always complaining that he doesn't have enough room. His wife drives a Honda Pilot....she's complaining about the lack of space - they have some trailer-hitch box thing that looks plain retarded.

#7 ·
Do what I did...buy a wagon. I use the V70R for Home Depot runs....and to pull a trailer. I have two dogs, and it's great being able to put them in the back (there's a gate)....and my son in the back seat. If I need more space for a long trip...I just throw the Thule box on the roof.
What he said!

I have two dogs, a house, and make many runs to Home Depot, I manage it all with my '01 9-5 Aero wagon. It's towed everything from a 1970 96 V4 with a tow bar to 18 sheets of 4x8 drywall on my utility trailer. I have a roof rack with Thule ratchet straps so that I can use that to carry stuff like 2x4s along with a big cargo box that I use for long trips. This setup has served me very well, I don't even miss the utility of my old Toyota truck.

Just something to consider...

#3 · (Edited)
Will this be your only vehicle or a 2nd car for house stuff? If it will be your only rig, that might be a good option. If you need something for hauling, an SUV is a poor choice. Get yourself an extended cab pickup with a fiberglass cap on the back. Be sure you get a slider window on the truck and cap so you can keep an eye on the dogs (and let some heat back there) or carry long pieces of lumber inside if you need to.

I do a lot of house stuff and I regrettably let my wife talk me into selling my pickup this past Summer. I'm using our Volvo wagon now, but it is not suited for carrying bags of cement, pavers or soil or even 2x4s. Can you tell that I miss my truck?

#4 ·
I was shopping for a 9-7x a couple years ago, but the local dealer wouldn't give me a decent price on a 5.3. Ended up in a '05 FX35 instead. Great car overall... handsome looking (I much prefer the 03-08 body over the 09), excellent build quality, good handling for its size, moved itself well enough, loved the exhaust note, nice interior, and decent cargo space... at least in terms of area with the rear seats folded flat, but I always wished it was a little taller inside.

They hold their resale value VERY well. I sold mine simply to get out of a car payment... bought it for 22,400 and sold it for 19,250, 18 months later.

#9 ·
Thanks! This helps. I would be trading in the 06 9-3 Aero for an SUV. I'm just nervous to go into SUV territory. I do like the FX35's a lot and the price it decent. If the interior of the 9-7 wasn't so Envoy-ish I would be all about it. Something about the steering wheel and layout makes me not like it though. Got some options to consider.

#10 · (Edited)
The FX is shit for cargo capacity and tow rating (not sure if you are towing or not).

If you are trying to justify the FX over something like a wagon because you need space - lol. It's just not going to be there.

They're not terrible vehicles, I just don't see the point of them.

And don't diss Envoy's - they are great SUV's, we have an '03 that tows our motorcycles all summer long, and is my winter car when my Saab gets stored. Fantastic truck.

If you think the Envoy is low rent - you should probably be looking at the premium SUV's then - X5, Mercedes, Lexus etc.

I can fit a stack of 4x8 drywall/plywood IN the car with the liftgate shut and still drive home. Seat is all the way up, but it's doable ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.