Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my wife got me one of the nice silver Saab license plate frames on Ebay, someone originally posted where to get them over @ the central. Now i have put it on, looks great, It only uses 2 bolts at the top, and now when i close the trunk get a nasty ... pooiiinnnnggggg sound.

Did anyone else get this? Should i drill 2 more holes in the frame or get some dynamat , whats the best way to tighten this up. Not to mention when my subs in the trunk hit... good lord.. pooingg poinnggg.... its the little things. :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
03_Saab 9-3 said:
Hey all, my wife got me one of the nice silver Saab license plate frames on Ebay, someone originally posted where to get them over @ the central. Now i have put it on, looks great, It only uses 2 bolts at the top, and now when i close the trunk get a nasty ... pooiiinnnnggggg sound.

Did anyone else get this? Should i drill 2 more holes in the frame or get some dynamat , whats the best way to tighten this up. Not to mention when my subs in the trunk hit... good lord.. pooingg poinnggg.... its the little things. :roll:
I had the same issue with a metal plate frame. I drilled out holes to get all 4 screws in and it didn't make noise at all. It was a pain getting it lined up, though (had to drill some of the plate, too)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats the only thing i can think of that may help, cuz If i put the bolts in at the bottom then the fram kind of sticks out and looks funny and still makes some noise, not as much but still some, so i thought either double sided tape which im sure would just wear out quickly, drill or dynamat. Im guesssin probably drill.

This is the frame :

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
i have a frame on my license plate, but it says:
MAINE

The Way Life Should Be

and yes, I live in PA - i also have a VT decal on my car too. I love the New England Area - it rocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same problem with my frame. I'm thinking I might try some thin foam weatherstripping around the inside of the frame, since that is what is making the noise. It's much cheaper than dynamat ;-) Besides, that is the stuff that finally killed my buzzes!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had that problem on my last car. I just squirted some silicon behind the plate. When it set, it was quiet as a mouse. Peels off real easy to if you need to do that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm thats what i may try rather then drilling, so you think that its more the frame flappin aroudn rather then the part of the bottom license plate that doest have the 2 bolts flappin? I cant tell from messin with it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just squirt the silicon everywhere. Behind the frame and plate. Trim it with a blade if you over squirt. Quite a tidy and effective solution.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the metal Saab plateholder on the front and a regular (dealer one) on the back.

NYS made plate holders like the Saab one illegal. You cannot have a plate holder that covers the New York text on the bottom of the license plate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
JNGold said:
NYS made plate holders like the Saab one illegal. You cannot have a plate holder that covers the New York text on the bottom of the license plate.
Boy that's a load of crud.

New York decides to put the state information on the bottom of the plate, where some other states put it on the top, and now it's illegal. Nice.

What, pray tell, is legal in the great state of NY? ;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I still have the plastic dealer one on both the back and the front. When I picked the car up in June I wanted to make sure there was a front plate put on (in PA we dont need a front plate) in case I decide to put something there and not have to go buy one myself. It was one of the few things I got from the dealer for free, lol, aside from the swedish label, some of the saabcatalog stuff at their cost, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts