Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to read the dipstick that id just like an inch of black plastic? The manual says if there is oil on it up to a certain pint you are full. only problem with that is once you pull out the damn dipstick all the oil flows down to the tip. So i guess I do have oil in the car, but lately I have noticed a buring oil smell that I am sure if coming from a slightly loose value. So I nee dto know ow much oi,l I am leaking but I can't because you have black./bown oil on a freaking black dipstick 1 inch long. Frustrating :evil:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
You sure you are not looking in the power steering reservoir? That one has a small one-inch black end on it, atleast on the 900s. The oil dipstick should be a long silver piece that has marks on it stating MAX and LOW...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No.. there is no way I am mistaking it for the power steering. The dipstick is attached to a big yellow screw on top that says Motor Oil. So I am sure I am looking at the right thing :p . But the bottom of it is a 1 inch long black POS and it looks half full. I get my pil changed here in about 40 miles so I'll find out then. Speaking of which what is a good type for my caR?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The engine oil dipstick is NOT easy to read.
Few of them are - the best I have read was on a huge air cooled Continental V12 Diesel..
In that plastic end I would drill a small (either #30 or 40) hole that would more definitely show the presence of oil.
I wonder why the engineers use a plastic tip of that sort ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts