Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one... how do I install it saabtuner? wana make us a guide? im sure its easy... im just stupid lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
Boxerchip said:
I got one... how do I install it saabtuner? wana make us a guide? im sure its easy... im just stupid lol
When I installed it I was already draining the coolant, so spillage was not an issue. I don't know how much will spill if you don't drain the system. Since it's at the top of the cooling system, not a whole lot, but some definitely will. I just don't know how much ...

For JUST changing the thermostat, without draining the entire system ...

1. Remove the plastic intake cover.

2. Put some pans under the car to collect the coolant that spills.

3. Undo the clip on the upper intake hose. (Notice the indentations left by the clip, they will be important later.)

4. Remove the mounting for the coolant pipe. (There's a little piece of metal that attaches to the thermostat housing with one bolt in it. Just remove the bolt.

5. Undo the two thermostat screws.

6. Pull off the thermostat housing. (Might tap it very gently with something to dislodge it.)

To put back on ..

1. Make sure the surface of the head, thermostat, and thermostat housing are clean and smooth. WIS says to lubricate the rubber seal with some non-acidic vaseline, or equivalent. (I didn't, maybe I should have, maybe not, so far no leaks.)

2. When fitting make sure the bleed hole faces up as marked by "top" on the thermostat .

3. Fit the thermostat housing, tighten the bolts to 16.2 lb-ft

4. Fit the mounting for the coolant pipe.

5. Put the upper radiator hose back on. (Remember those indentations left in the hose when you took it off? Remember to put the clip in EXACTLY the same location so that it sits right where it sat before.)

6. Fit the plastic intake cover (if you want to, looks kinda cool without it)

7. Top-off the coolant. (Be patient, as it may take a while for the coolant to fill into the system.)

8. Bleed the system as follows:

A/C and ACC must be off-

Fill the cooling system to the MAX level, fit the pressure cap, start the engine and warm it up at varying RPM until the radiator fan starts (212F, takes a while to get there). Then open the radiator cap SLOWLY and top off as necessary.

I'd also keep some distilled water with you for a day or so, just in case the level drops slightly. (There is a sensor that will tell you if it's low.) I haven't needed to top mine off as a result. But just in case.

Now if you want to drain and refil the entire cooling system let me know and I'll re-write the instructions for that. But this should be sufficient for just removing the thermostat. It's just a bit "messier" than draining the whole system (Because you can drain through a hose into a pan, and then almost no coolant spills when you remove the thermostat. Shops probably are required to do this by the EPA to prevent excessive coolant spilling.)

Hope that's useful. If you normally see boost reduction on hotter days, this should help reduce it quite a bit.

Adrian~

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Im moving this to the tutorial section, since it can definately come in handy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not a bad idea to have it here. Good idea to leave the link in the performance section too as it is a performance mod for the 9-3/9-5 which all have the 89C thermostat standard.

I talked with Nick Taliafferro, and while I used a special Mopar sealant around the gasket (they do not sell it to the public, my best friend is a dealer tech), Nick says not to use any sealant but the rubber seal itself.

Also Nick says it's not possible (or at least not easy) to change when the cooling fans come on. I'd like them to come on at a lower temp. I may use one of the thermoswitches from a C900 to do that job soon. :wink: Stock comes on at 212F, which is fine for a thermostat that only just opens at 193F, but now it's opening at 180F, so I'd like the fans to come on at about 200F. The thermoswitches in the C900's came in an assortment of temp ranges, and should be easily adapted. :twisted: I'll detail that work when I'm done. Hopefully Trionic7 won't be a namby-pamby about it.

And remember that when I did this I drailed the coolant completely, which isn't very hard. (Well actually you can only drain about 60-70% of it at a time) There's a barb that turns at the bottom left hand corner of the radiator. I usually put a deep-socket 13mm with a long extention on it, turn it until it's loose, then fit some fuel line hose, and use the hose to turn it further until liquid comes out. (Done this 6 times, as switching to and away from Evan's coolant requires a total and complete flush, which is basically best done as 3 drain/refils.)

If you DO drail the whole system, when you re-tighten the barb on the radiator, just make it finger tight by holding the extention and tightening with your fingers. Sometimes I very gently use the wrench, but it will seal fine finger tight. I only used the wrench because my fingers were wet and couldn't grip the extention itself.

Also, this week I will have a data-logger, so any future mods will come with various data to accompany them. (Been itching for one forever, but only finally came up with the funds.)

Err ... my posts are too long. Sorry for the excessive reading. :lol:

Adrian~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts