Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched it and read up on a few other threads, but i'd like to know a personal opinion of the turbo 900 owners. My thermostat is stuck open and broken.. hey that rhymed. lol (A,D,D) I'd like to know which one is better for a 900 turbo, an 89 or 82 degree unit. I am a delivery driver for papa johns and the car sits running every once in a while for about five mins or less while i run orders to houses in the cold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't find the thread right now, but I remember reading one on saabcentral about how the 82 made the heater not work worth a crap. On many engines a lower temperature thermostat can cause problems like heat cycling and running in open loop.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
luckly i have both an 82 and an 89. would it be worth the time to switch in the summer and in the winter.. or is it even worth it? im gunna go with the 89 and decide if i like it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
We have really hot summers - I change mine out for the seasons, 82C for the summer, and when it starts to get chilly around October or so I swap it with fresh coolant for the 89C, and leave it in there till probably Spring Break time, like April. I take my cars up skiing and stuff in the winter, so I want the defrost to be working right an all that.

Those twice yearly jobs are good times to check everything else out while you're under the hood for the 45 mins to an hour and snug other things up and do a nice once-over.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a sweet plan you have. Guess I've got an outline for what to do when summer comes, but this first change can't wait. so im starting on it tomorrow. ( or is that today... irk ):rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Since you're in MN I think you will be mad if you put in an 82C, I am down by Rochester for the holidays and it's cooooooolld.

Drew

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Wow, Drew, a twice annual thermostat swap? I admire your dedication!

I've always run the 89 tstat, I was always worried about running the engine at a lower than stock (89 deg is stock right?) temperature. You certainly aren't risking damage to the engine with the 89, and you get better heat, as mentioned above.

Drew, do you notice a difference in MPGs when you change thermostats?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
My '85 gets shitty mileage no matter what, and in the summer in LA / Palm Springs with the 82C my temp guage stays pegged right in the center or slightly higher. (3" exhaust, TD-04, chip, injectors, 3.0 BAR, big FMIC, all that jazz gives me about 23 mpg highway most of the time.)

My car has the old brazed brass core radiator though, not the newer aluminum / plastic one which cools better, so it runs a little warmer than the newer one.

I keep the old brass one so I blow radiator hoses rather than endtanks if I boil out a little in the summer months, we still do about 1 radiator a month in the summer on C900's alone.

Drew

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea more heat is always nice in MN! How and why does your 85 have bad MPG drewP? My 85 with a bad thermostat and a bad cold start was still getting about 26 or 28.
( maybe just a lazy Cali saab. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts