Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car

After spending decades as a collection of parts stuffed into wooden crates - the F-88 was reassembled.In 1954 - the F-88 was a Motorama "Dream Car" and was one of only two - or an unconfirmed possible three ever created. The F-88 seen here is literally the only car left of its kind - and was sold to John and Maureen Hendricks at the prestigious Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona for an unbelievable $3,240,000. This acquisition made automotive history and is the "cornerstone" of the Gateway Colorado Automobile Museum in its own special room in a rotating display worthy of the F-88!

The Oldsmobile F-88 is considered to be one of the most significant concept cars ever created by General Motors. As a rule, Concept cars, including design plans and specifications were destroyed, once introduced to the public in shows like GM's Motorama Shows.

The Oldsmobile F-88 was considered superior to the Corvette and Thunderbird of its time. The F-88 boasted a robust V8 engine coupled to a 4 speed hydromatic transmission mounted in a light weight chasis. If featured full power windows and locks and unique forward looking style. The spare tire was hidden in the rear bumper to enhance styling and improve safety while providing easy access. Just one of many design innovations introduced on the Oldsmobile F-88.
Pictures: (Reminds me of a Corvette)

The show officially became known as Motorama when it began to travel around the country in 1953. That year more than 1.4 million visitors saw it; Motorama's opening day in New York drew 45,000 visitors. There was a revue, with orchestra, singers, and dancers. Exhibited at this venue were the Buick Wildcat, Pontiac La Parisienne, Oldsmobile Starfire, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac Orleans and Le Mans. More than 1.9 million visitors attended the show in 1954; it started on January 26 in the Waldorf Astoria, New York. On display were the experimental Oldsmobile F88 and Cutlass, Buick Wildcat II, Chevrolet Nomad station wagon, General Motors Firebird XP-21 and Pontiac Bonneville Special, Cadillac El Camino, Cadillac La Espada and Cadillac Park Avenue, all featuring fiberglass bodies.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Awesome to see these concept cars still hanging around. That looks like a Harley Earl design.

I wonder what ever happened to the Corvette Nomad and Corvette (Corvair) Fastback from the same era?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree it looks a lot like a Vette. Not sure about spending 3mil on an Olds though.

I assume they were using the same development process when they created the Trailblazer, I mean Bravada, I mean Evoy, I mean Rainier.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it looks a lot like a Vette. Not sure about spending 3mil on an Olds though.

I assume they were using the same development process when they created the Trailblazer, I mean Bravada, I mean Evoy, I mean Rainier.
ha ha - no, this thing has a Fiberglass body and has a real engine and some serious style.

·
Registered
645 Posts
did this just re-sell?? i remember watching this like 2 years ago..

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did this just re-sell?? i remember watching this like 2 years ago..
not sure - I've been looking for the actual sale video or something to show WHEN - b/c this years B/J is NOT Scottsdale, AZ - it's in Vegas I think. Just started airing in TV too.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Might be the rarest corvette based olds from the 1950s, but I think there are plenty of other 1-off cars out there...which could be argued to be equally rare.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Haha, I have always had a pet peave about that very subject, how every single body part was exactly the same, except for the different badges.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, I have always had a pet peave about that very subject, how every single body part was exactly the same, except for the different badges.
The Saab Varient you know has Better suspension, nicer looks (different body panels) and an ignition in the correct place. That and it's nice to know in a few years I can afford a "SAAB" SUV which can haul a real load behind it for under $5000 :) It's a higher end GM SUV with Saab resale value - it's a win in my books. I would be nice to tow a 9000 or other and not place a strain on the Saab in front of it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.