Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw The Village tonight and I want my freakin $19 back. Absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It wasn't scary, had very little plot, and the ending was laughable to say the least. How this movie ever got made is a wonder to me. I don't think one person leaving the theater tonight was happy. Please do not waste your time or more importantly, your money on this piece of shit.

Kyle

·
Registered
127 Posts
I beg to differ - I thought it was a great movie, loved the twists and turns that kept you guessing all the way to the end.

If you go in expecting a slasher movie you'll be dissapointed, but if you go in expecting a typical Shyamalan mind-fuck you'll be satisfied.

I particularly like how he always follows the rules he sets up in his movies, giving you little clues all along the way as to how things will end, but so subtly you never catch it until afterwards when it's like "oh yeah, now THAT makes sense"

on an M. Night scale, I'll rate this above Signs and Unbreakable, but below Sixth Sense.

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loved the twists and turns that kept you guessing all the way to the end.
Are you serious? That was one of the most predictable and boring plots ever! I knew exactly what was going to happen!!! There was not one thing about that movie that was so subtle I never caught it. I just don't know how you could have not known what was going on :roll:

Kyle

·
Registered
127 Posts
so explain to me how it is that you knew all along that (contains spoilers, highlight quoted area to view)

The monsters aren't real, that it was a put-on by the elders of the village to keep the residents out of the woods? Or even if you suspected that, how would you know that the story takes place in contemporary times, not the late 19th century? What tipped me off that something was awry was that the way the "elders" delivered their lines was stilted, not the way that someone who was of the late 19th century would talk, but rather the way that someone PLAYING someone of the 19th century would talk.
As always with Shyamalan there are clues that you're not seeing what you think you're seeing, but you don't really ever know what is wrong, until he tells you - notable exception being "Signs" which was pretty much a piece of shit from that perspective.

·
Administrator
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats easy . . . ever read the book the 13th Warrior? Completely similar premise. Also, isn't it a little weird that a monster everyone is afraid of and that apparently could kill anyone at anytime sneaks around and doesn't show itself? As soon as I knew that I was guessing what they were. And as far as the second part . . . gee we're completely surrounded by woods. Does anyone else find that kinda peculiar??? I mean, come on! I thought it was obvious that they were closing themselves off from something. I will give it to you that I didn't know right away what it was they were hiding from, but the clues were there such as the constant talk about "towns" and how everyone of the elders had lost someone. When Sigourney Weaver tells what happened to her husband I knew right then what was really goin on. Plus, as you suggested, the fact that all the elders spoke in a contemporary style. People can go waste their money if they want to, but as far as I'm concerned if my brothers 18 yr old dumb g/f can figure out whats goin on before the ending I don't know how anyone else could have a problem with it.

Kyle

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, Ok, I'll skip the "highlight" part this time :? We should probably change the subject to "SPOILER WARNING" :shock:

Yup, read the 13th warrior, not a bad retelling of Beowulf (or ripoff, depending on your view) and indeed, this storyline did remind me of that one, the whole thing about the mysterious "monsters" that attacked at night etc, etc, etc, and I see definitely see that as having inspired this movie, with some significant digressions, i.e. that in the 13th warrior the creatures were fully real, in The Village they are fully imagined. I read that book sometime ago, but as I recall the similarities pretty much end there.

That the settlers of the village intentionally set themselves apart from the outside world was a point made from the beginning - the notion that the world is evil and the only way to escape that evil is to fully eschew society and ALL that it means. Even in todays world there are social groups that attempt to set themselves up as separate from the greater world - "of the world, but not in it", to misquote John Norman. Indeed, the opening scene with the funeral shows the emotional anguish of the decision they had made.

I think the alegory, if there is one, may be better examined by looking at it from the perspective that the elders of the village (although seemingly well-meaning) essentially manipulated the residents through fear of the unknown and unknowable, and did so to the point of murdering them through neglect (to not provide medicine to a sick child, as is implied), for some "higher" purpose.

In light of the current political situation there might be something to be read into that.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
well in anycase - I've been hearing it's not a great movie - and Newsweek has given it a fair review.... in any case - guess I'll hafta sneak into it to see it for myself :roll: :D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Well I just saw this movie last night, and I loved it! Definately worth my $2.11 :D I also loved the ending, kinda neat to think about that in today's terms. What if the life we are living today is one that is sheltered from the true world. What if outside Earth is the true world, and we are living a "fantasy" life per say...Weird to think about. Almost related to the idea of the Truman Show, never knowing your true life...

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I saw this movie last week.

It had some good parts, and was alright until the end when we figured everything out. Then the whole move seemed pointless to me. :roll:

Does make you wonder though :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts