Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well two actually.

9.15pm on august 31st (cops dont have a quota my ass)

sitting at a stop light, 1 car in front of me, none behind. light turns green, pul through intersection which opens up to 2 lanes with dotted line in the middle.

car in front of me proceeds to do 25-30mph with a posted limit of 40mph.

i pull into right lane and drive around slow car, staying in the right lane and remaining under the speed limit. suddenly a car is up my ass, so i signal left and move over....then i get lit up by a county sheriff, not even a damn local cop.

car off, keys on dash, interior lights on blah blah.

officer: you know why i pulled you over?
me: no sir.
officer: you failed to signal back there
me:....oh

25 minutes later

officer: im giving you two tickets tonight failure to signal, and passing on the right
me: oh...ok (holding back laughter from disbelief)
officer: you actually did signal, just not long enough, plead not guilty and the court will probably drop these
me: thank you sir have a nice night

this is re-freakin-diculous. two moving vilations...if i go to court and they dont drop it it will be 6 points on my license and over $200.

my license has been clean for 7 years, one other ticket ever which was for speeding and well, got my license suspended since i was 16 (15mph over for 4 points).

even if i go to court the god damn court fee is $75. i cant believe the guy wasted his time to not only pull me over for a half hour for this but write two tickets for the dumbest shit ever.

/end rant

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
wait - is there a law about how long one must signal for? He striaht up told you it was a false ticket and he was lying by writing that one. Secondly - did you pass the car at all? Or just increase speed to the speed limit to avoid hitting an unsafe vehicle both blocking & traveling @ unsafe speeds in the left (passing lane)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
no idea on a blinker law. yes i passed the car was a good 50 yards in front of it when i moved back into the left lane due to a car up my ass, which turned out to be the cop.
son of a bitch - I bet that was his move - if you had not moved over he would not have been able to bull sh*t the "passing" crap. He forced you over. I tend to hold my ground in the right lane for sh*t like that. If you stay in that lane, there is both no need to signal or to be considered passing. Cop knew what he was doing.... but you could beat it with a traffic lawyer if you don't think you could prove your case on your own.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yep...bigtime bullshit. Obviously you didn't deserve either ticket.
Carefully write down everything that happened and was said, including times and as much detail as you can recall. Don't add any speculation or conclusions, just what happened and what was said.
The cop was in the wrong coming up behind you like that and then effectively telling you the blinker ticket was false and how to beat it in court.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the plot thickens LOL

i went to sign the tickets to mail in as not guilty. and noticed the second ticket had no box to plea not guilty, only guilty...odd

for those who dont know, NYS tickets print out, with each ticket by itself being 8 1/2"x12.

i drove over to the court house, and the kind lady in the office was nice enough to inform me that the officer had obviously not let the paper print all the way and as a result ripped my second ticket in half, and as a result i had to fill out some home made form the office created to plead.

the lady then informed me that there is a chance the judge will just drop that ticket since it can be argued that i was not given a full deposition on that violation.

i now have to wait till the last week of september to even find out what my court date is.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I think that you should consider that the officer intentionally gave you a break. Police are people too. As long as he can report that he made a traffic stop, he has done his duty and can show that. It just seems too odd that he told you that you should be able to get out of the first ticket and then screwed up the second. Unfortunately, NYS rules have changed. The officer doesn't have to be at the court date any more. That used to be a benefit. If they didn't show, sometimes it was dismissed outright. Also many officers worked with the judges to help you plead down. That is unless you are a repeat-offender and a menace on the road. :)

I got pulled over just outside of Bennington, VT at 1:30 am on the way back from a family vacation to Maine. I had been driving for 5 hours, the car was loaded with family and luggage, I was obviously tired and just wanted to get home--which was 10 miles away. Explained all that to the cop. He wrote me a ticket for doing 45 in a 30, and mentioned something about not being able to find my license in the system. I submitted the ticket as not-guilty and never heard from the court. I'm quite sure he gave me a break.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the thing is im not sure what he would be giving me a break for. i was not speeding, all this happened below the posted 40mph limit, there were no other cars on the road so i did not cut anyone off etc...

tough to cut him a break in a situation like that, especially when he says he pulled me for no signal then comes back with an additional ticket he didnt mention initially.

·
7,595 Posts
The Hamburg PA Local Yocal got me about a 2 months ago. Speeding, 72 in a 45. Took that one to court but no dice... Cop showed up, judge was in the business of handing out convictions to make the municipality money. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

All I have to say is the cop was lucky it was rush hour, he would have never caught me otherwise cause I would have been doing 90 from the start, and by the time he got out on the road I would have been exceeding the maximum speed of his Crown Victoria ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.