Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1990 900 vert which I posted about before, I have owned two other c900's (85 turbo 4 door 5spd & a 88 three door base auto) but the was before saablink, Now I have a copious of information about keeping the old gal running.

Here's a list of thing I'd like to get done before Carlisle.

Interior

Seats - out - drivers seat needs to be re-stitched
Carpet - needs to be cleaned
Dash
Door cards - need to be re-clothed
Climate controls

Exterior

Buff out the paint
Do something about the half-assed clear coat
Body trim - replaced the rub strips
Left front fender
Front bumper lip
Re-dye bumpers
Rear passenger Wheel arch
Dr color chip??

Engine

Tune-up
Vacuum lines
Baffle for recirculation
Plug cover

I started working on it today, pulled the interior out with the key goal of removing the floor-rusters. Everything looked pretty solid floors don't have any rust but the passenger floor was wet from what appeared to be a water & oil-like mix :?: & had a peeling paint on the floor. Only rust I noticed was surface rust on the backseat panel.

Thats It For Now :D

·
7,595 Posts
for an 90 convertible, it actually looks exceptionally solid. The oil/water mix is likely power steering fluid, or a bit of sling from the "front" main seal. When the P/S tank leaks or is overfiled in the inner fender ares, somehow fluid does tend to end up inside the car. Not sure how, but that's probably where it came from.

·
7,595 Posts
Also, check the condition of the cat converter heat shield. That fiberglass bag looks a bit rust colored, and that exhaust tunnel will rust out & melt your wiring if the cat heat shield is bad.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Oohhh...naked Saab!

About re-doing the door panel cards, you will want to get a very soft batting from a fabric store. Nothing super fluffy, but maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick to put between the actual door card and the new fabric you choose. Otherwise, it just feels very flat.

You're not shooting for poofiness, just not flatness.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Oohhh...naked Saab!

About re-doing the door panel cards, you will want to get a very soft batting from a fabric store. Nothing super fluffy, but maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick to put between the actual door card and the new fabric you choose. Otherwise, it just feels very flat.

I agree with that. I've had best luck by using headliner material. It comes with a fabric face over foam padding either 1/8" or 1/4" thick. Glue it to the door card fabric-side-down/foam-side-up, then apply the fabric of your choice over the top of it. I like using microsuede fabric as a topper.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I agree with that. I've had best luck by using headliner material. It comes with a fabric face over foam padding either 1/8" or 1/4" thick. Glue it to the door card fabric-side-down/foam-side-up, then apply the fabric of your choice over the top of it. I like using microsuede fabric as a topper.
Exactly what I did! Turned out nice..

Question, are you going to swap out the auto trans for a 5 speed?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, check the condition of the cat converter heat shield. That fiberglass bag looks a bit rust colored, and that exhaust tunnel will rust out & melt your wiring if the cat heat shield is bad.
Took a look at it today it appears to be more of the discoloration from the oily mix on the floor, with more paint peel & will look to replace the fiberglass with something, maybe something more up to date. I plan to clean the floor maybe sand down the peeling paint and treat it with a coating

the oil in the car is probably fluid from the hydraulic pump for the top
Don't think it's the oil from the top the back seat area is dry, and the tank is half full with the top down, not sure what the level should be at up or down. What does the fluid need to replaced with?

Oohhh...naked Saab!

Now the only question is what to cover it with, flannel, something in a teddy bear psychedelic print ;-) , black or something in a stock color.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big progress has been made with the vert, replaced the floor rusters, cleaned the carpets, recovered the rear door cards. Gave it a big step in bringing out the paint, clay barred it and then used some rubbing compound on it, and it looks great.

I only have the one picture of the paint, I will have more tomorrow. It shines so great now & that's without wax or polish.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One problem that has come up is that the seal on the top of the rear window has become separated in some places.
How can it be resealed ?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
electrical loss.

Ok a electrical bug, what would possibly pulling power off the battery so much it would kill it in less then six hours even on a tender.

That looks awesome dude!!! Nice, you should really consider doing a auto to 5-speed swap for it.
It will but. when it's needed, the wagon will need a new clutch before that.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Passed Inspection without turning a wrench. :D
I have a few thing to button up & it's 100%
Alternator bushings, engine mount, side body strips (free!)
& radiator leak

1 - 20 of 26 Posts