Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courtesy of the Calhoun Square parking ramp, I picked up some serious curb rash on my 19" turbine rims this afternoon. Argh!

IMG_0228 by gabbott66, on Flickr

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Sucky. Looks more like operator error than a problem with the wheels! 17 and 18" wheels won't keep a person from rubbing on a curb.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Courtesy of the Calhoun Square parking ramp, I picked up some serious curb rash on my 19" turbine rims this afternoon. Argh!

IMG_0228 by gabbott66, on Flickr
You serious???? :( how much are those per wheel? do i dare ask? you've had the car what a week?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You serious???? :( how much are those per wheel? do i dare ask? you've had the car what a week?
Two weeks now. 1289 miles. I think I saw a listing for the wheels at $388 per, on saabusaparts.com.

The winter wheels are going on this weekend, so I have a few months to contemplate repair (?) or replacement options.

And, yes, JK, operator error was involved. It's hard getting a feel for where the other side of the car is, you cannot see the front or right edge of the car from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That can be repaired, just have to find someone who can do it right (call the dealer and see who they use).
Greg - precision wheel in Hopkins does great work, ~$100 plus demount/mount/balance.

Although repainting the finish will never be as stout as the factory finish, unless you go powder coat which is mildly better.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
good lord man. be more careful!!! :???:

It's hard getting a feel for where the other side of the car is, you cannot see the front or right edge of the car from the driver's seat.
start getting used to being one of those guys that park their cars away from everyone else/tight spots, remember what you're driving!

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
the high belt lines of newer cars make parking and driving in smaller spaces much harder.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't bother parking far away. If your luck is anything like mine, people will just start following you to the far end of the parking lot and you will find many stupid dings when you come back.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Don't bother parking far away. If your luck is anything like mine, people will just start following you to the far end of the parking lot and you will find many stupid dings when you come back.
i find parking further back away from people helps, people that tend to park towards front row are usualy in a hurry, too lazy to walk, or old. All of which can result in your car being knocked. Parking where you can enjoy a spot or two of empty parking cushion is a peace of mind. Not everyone has people following them in the parking lot, and if thats the case for you sir, i suggest maybe looking into that and figuring out who you pissed off!:neutral:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Did the same thing in the Goat this week, only a bit more violently....

Snap oversteer in the rain coming out of a traffic circle: 90 degrees one way, looking out of the driver's window going about 30 mph, then back around 270 deg facing the traffic behind me, but the passenger side hitting a low 45 deg curb. Just enough to rash the wheels, nothing more. Turned around and continued on to my client meeting...

:rolleyes:

GA I feel your pain... Just don't do it the way I did....

·
Registered
122 Posts
YOU CALL THAT SERIOUS CURB RASH? :lol: Sand that down and throw some primer, paint and clear on it and bondo if you need it.

·
7,595 Posts
Been there on this, the 18" wheels on the STI take pretty easily to curb rash... same wheel, same sort of damage. Whoops!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts