Saab Link Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
What kind of power figures should one estimate for that beast? Actually an old friend of mine had one, and it was surprisingly punchy.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What kind of power figures should one estimate for that beast? Actually an old friend of mine had one, and it was surprisingly punchy.
I had bought the original McLaren 3.1-T setup for the car right before I sold it. NA running mid 15's it had less than 155hp at the crank but tq was about 210 according to the dyno's I have seen. Stock 3.1's showed 180+lbs of tq at the wheels. My car weighted in at 2580lbs at the track, so keep that in mind....you don't need much power when the car is light

The turbo setup had a small T-25, I was going to run it at 8psi which should have been pretty quick.

Keep in mind that your average 900SE ran mid 15's in the mid 90's.

The popular thing to do is put in the 3400sfi from a Grand Am for about $400 parts and (your)labor and run low 14's or boost the 3400 and run 12's.

Also, my last 3.1 5spd beater would average 26.5mpg.

But enough about that :)

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Would the 3.8/L36 or 3.8sc/L67 fit in one of those?
Yeah, it's been done a few times. It's a lot more work than the 3.4/3.5/3.9 swap since the 3800 is a 90 degree motor. There was even a twin engined 3800 SC front and back one done. There is a nice series 3 turbo 3800 out there.

The way to go is the 3400/3500 swap(the 3900 is the same block but no one has done the swap yet). The engines can be had for $250 with low miles and it can be swapped in easy, like going from a B205 to a B235. HP goes from 140-180 instantly.

My friend just did the swap and put in a pair of rare headers and is going to do a remote turbo setup. It looks 100% factory and bone stock, don't think it adds any weight either.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
excuse my ignorance, but what is a remote turbo setup?
Typically they are installed far outside of the engine bay, often times out the back of the car where the muffler would be.

It is great when many cars that are NA do not have the room under the hood for such an addition and it makes for a sneaky sleeper.

In the Retta I just removed the battery and put it in the trunk to make the room in place of doing a remote turbo.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My friend Joe selling the Retta was offered a $4500 car as a straight up trade last night. Before he could give a hell yes, the guy took a deposit from someone else. But if it falls through the deal is good. Not bad.

The trade is for the only other older GM 80's car that Joe ever wanted. It was an 88' Fiero GT fastback 5spd in mint shape with lots of extras including a Caddy V8 to go with the car.

I too have a soft spot for the last year Fiero's. I am hoping the deal goes through.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts