Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, we're on our way, probably about a third through the little, pre-SOC drive through the Canadian North Woods. I've put together a gallery here. Paul's gallery is here.

But here are some highlights....

Critical equipment for Great White, the 1987 c900 turbo, formerly an automatic.

Critical equipment for Little Red, the 1992 c900 base (last year)

The ascent of Mt. Washington starts in the trees like that OTHER drive through the woods we all love.

Then you run out of trees but not out of fun, clearly.

Saabs at the top of New England.

Great White at sea. This was a surprise ferry mostly because I didn't get the entire sense of the scrolling road signs in French for the hour or so before we got there.

Quebec 389 is a VERY remote road and they throw these SOS phonebooths in the middle of nowhere for driver safety. But wait, what's inside?

Sweet! A PBR!

Crap. Someone beat us to it. Le poop.

Hot dam! Manic 5 is big. Like really big. And in the middle of nowhere.

Loons make the coolest, spookiest sound I've ever heard. Here they are the morning after, cruising the Manicouagan Reservoir.

Gravel, dust, washboards and flying rocks the size of fists - welcome to Quebec 389!

Black flies suck. They just do.

The northernmost section of Quebec 389 was designed by the same guys who do those massive twisty, turny, hilly, thrilly wooden roller coasters. Only in gravel. And with big trucks barreling by at 75 mph+. Whee!!!!

Ever wonder where The X-Files guys got all of those plot lines about large-scale, world-conspiracy industrialist ne'er-do-wells operating in the remote corners of the planet? Yeah, that crap really happens. They're sending large, iron-rich parts of Quebec and Labrador south on trains every day and taking down entire mountains in strip mining operations.

Most of the mall closes by 5:30 p.m. but you can't keep Tim down.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And, some videos courtesy of Paul of trucks going past on Quebec 389. The locals take the 90 kph speed limit as a suggestion and a weak one at that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Aw man awesome! Sad to say the longest journey Ive driven in the SPG was 6hours. It did great though! Ill be checkin the link for updates.
Be safe and have fun!!!

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Awesome! Thank you for the updates, I was wondering how this was going.

·
7,595 Posts
It has been going along well so far. Even with all the repeated hits on the road crown, some of which have been VERY hard which shot very large rocks out the back of the car there have been no bent wheels, nothing broken cept a tail pipe hanger. Apparently from what we hear the roughest parts of the trip are out of the way. Tomorrow, just a few hundred miles of "loose surface" highways.

Some of the sections were so rough, it felt like of like I had been using an electric saw when we stopped. Seems as though the best bet is just to keep the speed up. ;) These old 900's can take it.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Great, glad to see you've made it all the way up to Labrador City already! This looks like a fun trip, keep the pictures and updates coming :).

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Cool, that looks like lots of fun.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
great pics guys. looks like a ton of fun.

are you all using special extra ply tires?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Fantastic trip details & pics!

Some of the best rolling shots EVER!

LOVE the rally "package" on your 900s! Got
any pix with all of the lights on?

Looking forward to the updates!

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look cool.

What are Tim Horton's? Some kind or restaurant I assume?
It's basically the Canadian Dunkin' Donuts. They are revered and, in some regions, considered to be a religion. Gotta love Tim Horton's, right, Guru?

As for the rolling pics, most of those are courtesy of Jeff and Paul and they are awesome. We haven't been doing a lot of driving at night because there are MOOSE afoot, or so all the signs say. But we'll try to get something as the trip goes on.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
I love the wheel and headlight picture.

·
Registered
707 Posts
amazing pics- i especially enjoyed the ones on mt. washington. i am racing up it on my bike this weekend!

trip looked fun, cars look great. and um, that pbr can looks like it has been there a while. last i recall, the cans were red white and blue, not pink :lol:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts