Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what makes the beep beep sound when you set the alarm on your Saab. Is it the horn? The newer 9-3's have a less "loud" and "harsh" sound when setting the alarm compared to the older new generations. Could I possibly buy a 9-3 horn and this would change the sound? Or is it something else?

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
I'd like to know this as well because I get some complaints on how my horn sounds when i activate it. After hearing the 9-3 alarm, it sounds alot better.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Same here on this, i really just want the lights to flash. I don't want any horn sound at all.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The alarm activation horn is located inside the driver’s side front fender. I looked into changing mine once, but it is tough to get to. I think the fender needs to come out, but I don’t know the details on changing the horn.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooh a nice new project to work on...I'll see what I can find out...You guys do the same...And let's get this done :D

EDIT: I am checking out the Saab EPC and it seems the alarm horns for the 900NG and the 9-3 are different in shapes. The 900NG is a round horn, while the 9-3 appears to be two smaller horns in a rectangle case. The 900NG one is located behind the driver's side front wheel...Not sure where the 9-3 one is...

·
Registered
358 Posts
ERP said:
I think the fender needs to come out, but I don't know the details on changing the horn.
I saw my car's alarm horn when I took out the plastic fender liner. The liner isn't that hard to take out, so I bet you could swap out the horn in an afternoon.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Not possible. But would be nice.

The 900 alarm horn is a simple 2 wire apply voltage part.

The 9-3 (and 9-5) siren has three wires and is powered all the time. It communicates bidirectionally on a single signal wire with TWICE. Retrofit is therefore not possible. This siren even has a built in battery backup.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does the 9-3 horn communicate with directionaly? The ECU? Is there a way to purchase a new aftermarket alarm horn that is one direction, turn on the power and it honks sort of deal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts