Saab Link banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
If you travel that way, Dave's machine on John fitch in the dirty burg did all my heads. (Saab, and DSM) He's got whatever special tool is needed to adjust the guides if you end up pulling the valves. A bake/plane is only $99 with him. (add a few bucks for the extraction)

·
Super Moderator
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
If you travel that way, Dave's machine on John fitch in the dirty burg did all my heads. (Saab, and DSM) He's got whatever special tool is needed to adjust the guides if you end up pulling the valves. A bake/plane is only $99 with him. (add a few bucks for the extraction)
Okay cool, I have to figure out where I am going to do the gasket. Probably Westford (parents) or Nashua (Mike D) because both places have more space than my garage.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Is it just me, or did that sound wrong... :th_SmlyROFL:

Nice work on the 900, Mike. Definitely saved this from the scrappers.

·
Super Moderator
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
A little update.

The big hose on the AIC cracked and failed while my GF was driving in Billerica. Fortunately it was less than a miles from Hollands junk yard. So I met up with her, vice gripped the hose and grabbed one from the yard for $2. Fixed it and drove home.

This weekend, we visited the Magic Hat brewery in Burlington VT. The car survived the ~500 mile round trip with no issue. Averaged about 30.1mpg too!

One thing I need to definitely do is improve the exterior lighting.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
A little update.

The big hose on the AIC cracked and failed while my GF was driving in Billerica. Fortunately it was less than a miles from Hollands junk yard. So I met up with her, vice gripped the hose and grabbed one from the yard for $2. Fixed it and drove home.

This weekend, we visited the Magic Hat brewery in Burlington VT. The car survived the ~500 mile round trip with no issue. Averaged about 30.1mpg too!

One thing I need to definitely do is improve the exterior lighting.
Here come the HID's.

The brewery is awesome isn't it? I checked it out earlier this year, interesting stuff.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
on my 9-3, I bought an upgraded headlight harness, and got some Osram night breakers.
made a hell of a difference. especially if you got new lenses.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Ahh, my neck of the woods! I love being just up the road from endless Growler refills. My bank account does not :D

·
Registered
610 Posts
on my 9-3, I bought an upgraded headlight harness, and got some Osram night breakers.
made a hell of a difference. especially if you got new lenses.
Where did the upgraded headlight hardness come from?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Suvheadlights.com

They appear to be down/closed now. I'm sure you can fund one on ebay. It was just thicker wire that ran directly from the battery. The kit I had came with new relays and all the connections for plug and play.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hey Mike, I have a spare Viggen intercooler kicking around. let me know...

·
Super Moderator
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Here come the HID's.

The brewery is awesome isn't it? I checked it out earlier this year, interesting stuff.
No HIDs yet, probably fix the fogs and aim the headlights correctly. The brewery is so damn cool.

Ahh, my neck of the woods! I love being just up the road from endless Growler refills. My bank account does not :D
I forgot my growlers like a full dumbass. Most of the beers I could get locally in MA, except the Humdinger series. I bought a bottle of Graupel, fantastic.

Putco H4 / 9003 Heavy Duty Headlight Upgrade Wiring Harness - eAutoWorks

That's similar to what I had. No idea if putco is great quality. Their led lights are nice!
Instead of doing upgraded headlights, I will probably just get all stock lights working 100%, then install some other switchable aftermarket fogs. This is a winter beater after all!

Hey Mike, I have a spare Viggen intercooler kicking around. let me know...
Probably the last thing this car needs haha. Gotta do the HG just to fix a bad stud first.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i like the primitive radar detector in this car a lot

·
Super Moderator
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
i like the primitive radar detector in this car a lot
It does everything but laser. I need to figure out the brand.

Anybody have some insight about radar detectors built into the dash in the early 2000s?

There is a large sensor below the front license plate, one in the grille, an antenna on the roof and im guessing some sensors in the tail lights... Its fucking intense.

It has a volume and on/off dial on one of the "delete" panels below the headlight switch. Also has a status LED above the switch. It has 2 radar indicator LEDs on each side of the SID, and a speaker somewhere near the volume knob.

The on switch has two modes, I am guessing normal and highway.

I need to grab some part numbers from this thing. It works extremely well.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
sounds like it would have been a bitch to install lol

·
Super Moderator
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Alright so, holy shit. This thing is intense.

Its a K40-2000 Remote Radar Receiver WITH the optional Laser Jammer EX. So high speed.

This is the front Rader Receiver:

Front Laser Jammer:

On/Off Switch and volume knob:

Not actually sure this is part of the radar system anymore:

The rear radar receiver is in the rear bumper cover apparently. I know it has the rear setup because it has the second LED.

Here is the brochure for this bad Larry: http://www.k40.com/filebin/pdf/UNDETECT_BROCHURE_.pdf

·
Registered
593 Posts
Instead of doing upgraded headlights, I will probably just get all stock lights working 100%, then install some other switchable aftermarket fogs. This is a winter beater after all!
If you want some significant light in a compact package at a reasonable price to supplement, check out the Hella FF75 driving lights. You can replace the stock fogs if you don't mind the gaps or mount them elsewhere.

Hella FF75 Series Auxiliary Free Form Lamp Kits - FF75SERIES less the $10 discount on the same page.

·
Super Moderator
6,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I washed the 900 for the first time in probably 5+ years:

it actually cleaned up decently. It needs a good buff, but that will probably never happen.

It has been running great so far. Took it up to Burlington VT once, into Boston etc. It gets driven 60 miles daily and never skips a beat! It will be getting a headgasket and associated other bits eventually.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Looking nice, man. Let me know if you find any decent prices on headliner stuff. I need to do my NG900, too...

61 - 80 of 93 Posts