Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Played around with a new caviler (2.2 ecotech) after class today. we played for a little, hit a light....continued to play from the light on.

After we took off at the light, casual launch for both of us due to wet road, we were both pretty much even. I took over towards the end of 5th.

Once we caught up to traffic we tried that thing where u yell at eacher while goin down the road. As usual this proved to not work so well. we just pulled over.

He gets out "nice is that a v6?"
me-"no just a 4cyc turbo, stock"
him-"man its pretty fast, i was wondering. Its a nice car man, i keep tellin people they are quick but most ppl won't look past the funny looks of the car, but i think they look neat"
me-"thanks man, i know they do look odd i'll admit that they arn't for everyone"

so we talked for a little bit, he wants to put a supercharger or turbo kit on his car. Found out i took over in 5th b/c he still had his gov., i was kinda wondering b/c we were even untill then.

Just nice to race someone and be able to talk about it. Just over all a good race and cool guy. wanted to share.

ian

·
7,595 Posts
yeah, the new cavalier ecotec is a nice engine. same engine they put in the turbo saab 93 bye the way, just the cavalier weighs about 400 lbs less, and incidentally has no turbo. As far as I know the J-cars are STILL limited to 112 mph. Not sure exactly why that is, but it could have something to do with the fact the frame of the car was designed in 1980 with a 82 HP engine in mind… High speed dynamics were not a factor in the design of the car. The J-car is being replaced next year by the new "cobalt" platform, the 1st total re-design of the GM compact car since the J-body 1st came out in 1980. I think that car with a supercharged ecotec (the optional engine) should easily hang with some much more up-scale cars.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nah - GM has a "policy" of limiting the cars to the tire speed rating... nowadays...

So a Buick Regal GS with ass S rateds is gov'ed to a shitty 174km/h but a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (same weight, same drivetrain, similar aerodynamics) with H's will hit 215km/h easily (don't ask how I know..)

But either car should hit 240+ with ease if not for the governor..

Or the old Camaro and Firebird were limited to 270km/h (165mph) because of the Z rated tires (which are supposed to be "over 260km/h" but apparently not...)

I don't know why car mfg's put substandard tires on cars and then govern the car to not exceed the capable speed of the shitty tires installed in the first place. There isn't anything stopping me from putting Y-rated tires (300km/h - 186mph) on a Regal, so why shouldn't I be able to exploit the car properly? But you can with the right tool... :D

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
so what happens if you upgrade tires...does your govenr go up a few...thats lame..good thinking GM

and thats cool you guys got to talk...here in the bay of california...if you win your opponent usually gets mad and exits or gives you a meen glare..the nicest ones give you a quick wave.....i wana chop it up and see what they have....but usualy just get mean mugs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts