Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is failure rate of a Tensioner pulley from a 9-5 Vs. Ng900/Og93?

I have/had the sound of a pulley in inpending doom, so I changed the idle pulley with a wazee pulley. That didn't get rid of the sound.
I had a ng900 Tensioner with pulley laying around, & I tested the sizes of the two, same size pulley, same mounting, so I used the pulley from that. Now I have a metal pulley instead of a plastic pulley.
Everything seems to work just fine, havent road tested it yet. I managed to save myself $50 thanks to a part I've had laying around since before my NG died.

·
Registered
114 Posts
from what I read the tennsioner pullys on 9-5's and 9-3's should be swaped at around 100k miles or so...some recomend swapping it out every 60k miles with a belt change.. my 9-5 has it at 71k and no problems my mothers is at 134k but I think its beens swaped out at 40k miles...not sure though :( its the next thing to do >.< )

On my brothers 900ng though he said that the pully was making a sound at 150k miles but after he swaped it the sound was still there. swaping the timing chain fixed it some what...he belives its his balancing chain at this point. anyway...if it fits and the car runs fine, belt is tensioned correctly, it shouldnt be an issue...I mean if you look at the data both 9-5 and 900ng have a redline at about 5500rpm. the only issue is the extra torq that 9-5 produces could creat an issue...but I doubt it...from all the info I could see there should be no problems...but im no saab guru ^.^ hopefully some one else can chime in!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had all the fluids (oil, coolant, tranny, brakes) swapped out yesterday along with new V-belt and pulleys at 74K miles on my 2004 9-5 AERO. Maybe not quite due for belt and pulley, but preventive maintenance saving me a trip to shop.

Feff

·
Registered
161 Posts
my ng's went at 89k on the way to soc 2010 and prevented me from taking it there, after that i looked at my 03 95 aero and it was starting to show signs at 82k so we just replaced right away, this could show how long they typically last since both are in the 80k range

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.