Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, in preperation for my water injection. I figured I would get some data before.

I have a type J thermacouple installed in my intake. I installed it through one of the plastic vaccume inserts and the senor sticks below the plastic part by like 15mm. So i higly doubt its getting heat off of the metal intake itself.

here are my results i've found so far:

Each test was after the car was warmed up, starting at about 2400RPM in 3rd gear, going to 5000RPM till 5th gear then i would kinda back off. Roads were on a slight up hill.

Outside temp=85F (i belive i forgot to look sorry) car seemed to be running about 8-9PSI. Temp would get up to 140F by the end of 4th and in 5th wouldn't go above that.

Outside temp=77F (yes looked this time) Car seemed to run at about 9-10PSI. Temp would get to 134F by the end of 4th and not go above that in 5th still pushing it. And at this outside temp. the intake temp would go down real fast when you let off.

If i was just kinda cruising along between 50-60mph in the 85F outside temp the intake temp would be about 120F. If i did this in the 77F the intake temp would be about 110-113F.

I plan to go out tomorow during the 90F outside temp and see what happens. I also have all 3 different IC's for the C900 and might swap them out to see if there are any differences.

Thought this was interesting and figured I would share what I have learned so far.
Plan to post in a few area's as it could prove to be usfull information in a few places.

Ian

·
Registered
546 Posts
Nice job, I like seeing empirical data. I installed a temp gauge in my intake about a month ago and your numbers are close to mine, even though I have a NG900.

I have found that at highway speeds the intake is 25F above ambient, usually dead on. Around town the intake temp is ~35F above ambient and during high speed runs it is 50-60F above ambient. The max temp is always a few seconds after I let off the throttle.

Eric

·
Registered
584 Posts
Anyone have multiple sensors at different points in the intake plumbing?

It would be interesting to see intake (pre-turbo), IC intake (between turbo and IC), TB intake (between IC and TB) all at the same time. . .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YA, I was wondering how mine would compare to yours eric.

Driversfound-Yes I orginally had thought about istalling temp. sensors before IC and after IC, then after water injection. But its hard to find places to put the sensors where they will not be effected by the metal tubing and what not. So I just figured I would install it where i needed it.

Eric-what is the difference in temperatures between water injection and not?

Ian

·
7,595 Posts
that's great empirical data you got there. now that you have the control what's your next step? I would love to see results with various intercoolers, try some cone filter set-ups, maybe an intercooler fan / cone air filter, h2o injection.... see what temps you get with those.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i got distracted taking the pool cover off (and cleaning it) my dads pool today. That and the thermacouple I was using failed due to a coreoted braze so i had to install a different one.

Maybe wednesday I can swap IC's out.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts