Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprisingly I couldnt find much info on upgrading the audio setup on a 9000 so I'm looking for ideas - what's worked, what hasn't, pics, etc.

In the coming weeks I'll be upgrading the 9000 with the following goals:

Bluetooth for handsfree phone operation
IPOD/Iphone control
USB control
Above average sound quality
Clean look

I'll be using an Infinity basslink amplified sub (have it on my NG and I love it) and will prob get a simple alpine 4 channel amp to power the speakers.

Proposed Head unit:

Kenwood BT900

I'm constrained by the Single DIN size and reluctant to go for a flip out unit as I'd guess it would get in the way of the climate control if placed in the higher DIN slot or be too low to view if placed at the bottom. If you've got a flip out head unit and disagree, feel free to pipe in.

For speakers, its got the factory HK speakers and from what I've read they don't handle power well so will need to change them out. Need suggestions here as I don't know much about what speakers work well in the 9000.

Either way, post your ideas..I need input

thx

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have a flip up alpine and it works fine, i don't mess with my climate control much, yeah its not perfect, but you get over it, plus most have a button for like a 5 second flip down or w/e. I'm running mb quart 4 inch components up front, fits in the factory mid/tweeter location without any real modification on a '91, i assume newer hk ones are similar. I forget what rear component size i have. I'm running an alpine vpower 125x4 amp and it sounds really good, very clean sound.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Previous owner of my 9000 hacked up all the wiring and ran his own Walmart speaker wire to all four corners. I have Polk 4" 2-ways up front and stock (undoubtedly failing) stock speakers out back. Head unit is an Alpine iDA-303 (I think). It's a full digital media receiver with USB iPod control, bluetooth capability and Sirius. Wish it was a CSE so I'd have the H/K amps and speakers to play with but whatever, it's a winter beater.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Assuming I had found a 9000 with H/K, I had a harness design in mind that would involve the amp connections being mated to RCA plug ends. That way the head unit preouts would drive the HK amp instead of speaker level outputs and let the HK amp do its thing with the funky impedance levels and such.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
My first 9000 had had an aftermarket head installed by a shop, so the adapter harness was already there. When I got rid of it I just cut out the harness, and spliced it into my Aero by just matching up the colors on the wires. I now have a JVC KD-AVX44 "El Kameleon" (the one that blacks out). Had to wire it into the little switch on the ebrake so that I can watch DVDs (which I still haven't actually done). It also has bluetooth, but I've never had a phone with bluetooth so that doesn't really matter. Has a great iPod hookup though, and you can't find much better for looks. Eventually I still plan to swap out the stock speakers for some Infinitys or Alpines, but it sounds decent enough for now.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My first 9000 had had an aftermarket head installed by a shop, so the adapter harness was already there. When I got rid of it I just cut out the harness, and spliced it into my Aero by just matching up the colors on the wires. I now have a JVC KD-AVX44 "El Kameleon" (the one that blacks out). Had to wire it into the little switch on the ebrake so that I can watch DVDs (which I still haven't actually done). It also has bluetooth, but I've never had a phone with bluetooth so that doesn't really matter. Has a great iPod hookup though, and you can't find much better for looks. Eventually I still plan to swap out the stock speakers for some Infinitys or Alpines, but it sounds decent enough for now.
How well do the touch screen buttons work while driving?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How well do the touch screen buttons work while driving?
That's my only complaint. Since they're actually heat-sensitive instead of touch sensitive, it lags a bit, which really doesn't equate to being helpful at all while driving. There's too much vibration and bouncing around to be able to really control anything while still watching the road. That said, the remote it comes with fits perfectly in the little cubby under the e-brake handle, and that makes everything much much simpler.

·
Registered
412 Posts
First off I'm new here so anyways I drive a Saab 9000 Aero and I've pretty much destroyed it in most peoples eyes by gutting it and turning it into a 3,000 pound boombox.
Anyways first setup was stock HK system with a inline converter for my Rockford Fosgate 750 watt? Monoblock powering my two 10 inch Cerwin Vegas in a ported box box. Very clean setup sounded good.
Second setup added Kenwood headunit for iPod usage, added super old sony xplode four channel for hk speakers, was still okay but xplode couldn't handle the HK's.
3rd setup, my iPhone in the gauge cluster area and a trash bag over the passenger side window cause someone broke into my car and stole everything, worst part: PASSENGER DOOR DOESN'T LOCK!!!
They didn't even need to break my window, ugh stupid theives.
But so far my build has now gotten to two soundstream 15's a 2600 watt monoblock and a jensen stereo till i can get money saved for a decent double din.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts