Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back today from the dealer. Had my passenger wing mirror replaced (son's tennis ball in the mirror trick), had the AUX-IN enabled by Tech 2 (still no lead though, the dealer hasn't a clue on that one) and got TEL1 installed.

TEl 1 connects my Nokia car kit to the car audio allowing me to use the inbuilt mike in the head console and the caller is broadcast over the speakers. The volume control on the steering wheel and in the head unit can be used to adjust the volume. The audio mutes when a call comes in or out. COOOOOOOOL.

The phone is mounted on a standard Nokia car kit mount which is then mounted on a Saab bracket. Its parchment coloured and looks really good. I think it would be very useful for those people (US folks) looking for somewhere to mount their handheld GPS's. I have to decipher my invoice but I think the part number is SA12791203 - Telephone Console.

Some photos

and SID displays TELEPHONE when on a call.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good job, Saba! Nice to see that at least someone outside of the EU has Tel1 installed :?

Is handsfree a national/state requirement down there?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mbodo said:
Good job, Saba! Nice to see that at least someone outside of the EU has Tel1 installed :?

Is handsfree a national/state requirement down there?
Yes, well it is in my state, but I think its the same over the whole country. Got my first real call a little while ago. Works very well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$260 AUD = $200 USD (the exchange rate has really improved), but that doesn't include the cost of the Nokia Car kit (which is necessary). But I got the car kit as a "freebie" when I got my new phone. Normally around $250 USD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got my iPod mounted on the Saab phone thing in my car. It definitely does look good like that. It's easy to install yourself too, if you can get over the nail biting of having to drill into your baby (only once, though). :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Saba,

Do you know the part number for the phone harness to hook into the EHU? I have been looking for this and cannot seem to find this anywhere.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wiring harness : SA400129086
Voltage Converter: SA12802036

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suppose you need the SAAB holder and the handsfree kit.

Is it easy to install on your own, without the dealer?

Do we need Tech2 to activate anything?

I am very interested too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mickey said:
I suppose you need the SAAB holder and the handsfree kit.

Is it easy to install on your own, without the dealer?

>> I think so

Do we need Tech2 to activate anything?
>> Don't think so. There was nothing on the item list about Tech 2.

I am very interested too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice - I'm still waiting on the Tel2 - Dealer called today to say that you can now get it installed from the factory, and he thinks it'll be available for install as an accessory as of late Feb. Damn its taking a long time!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Enobar, problem with TEL 2 is that you need a duplicate SIM card. None of the telco's I've contacted will do it (Optus and Telstra). So if you want TEL 2 you have 2 choices...

1. Get a second account and SIM card (different number), not a good solution.
2. Take out your SIM in your mobile each time you get in the car, put it in the box in the boot. When you get out of the car take it out of the box in the boot and put it back in your mobile. :shock: :( :evil:

Both options suck, thats why I went with TEL 1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, i'm aware of that issue thanks Saba, but i've decided that all those cool buttons on the dash are needing to be put to use! I'll get a second number, and set the handset to divert to the car when off. That way when i get into the car, i can just turn off my phone and it will automatically forward to the car. then when i get out at the other end, i'll turn the phone back on. Only issue will be if both are off at the same time, but that is unlikely anyway since my mobile is virtually always on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you set your mobile to automatically divert to the other number when off or do you have to do it manually eah time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
USNA '00 said:
I've got my iPod mounted on the Saab phone thing in my car. It definitely does look good like that. It's easy to install yourself too, if you can get over the nail biting of having to drill into your baby (only once, though). :)
How is the Ipod conected to the stereo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Saba said:
Can you set your mobile to automatically divert to the other number when off or do you have to do it manually eah time?
Yep, i can set my phone to divert when 'unreachable' (i.e. off or out of range) automatically to any number. I will just program it to divert to the car's number. Also the good thing is that this programming is stored on the sim/with the network, so even if your phone doesn't give you the option, find someones who does, put in your sim and program it. Then put your sim back in your phone. Works like a charm :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great, I have three mobile accounts (and 3 SIMS, don't ask why, the third one I don't use) so I may look into that when TEL2 comes out (and depending on the cost). The TEL 1 didn't cost me that much. Might be able to sell the TEL 1 to an American :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmmm $1000 bucks :? That buys a lot of other things. I will have a big hole in my console when I take out TEL 1. Maybe not. Must admit it would be nice to use all those buttons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts