Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been driving this "thing" even tho it started having throttle body problems with the "tcs" warning light on but dimly. it would barely idle around 200 rpm. in the last few days its been idling normally right at 750 rpm and there are no signs of a problem. even the light on the dash went out. with all the knowledge on here does anyone know if its possible for this thing to fix itself or is the throttle body not truly a throttle body but more like cold air with a vacuum on the cable that connects to the gas pedal. what if its just a problem with the mechanism on that cable? is there only one way to skin a cat? other than that this thing purrs like a kitten with the new battery, plugs, fluids, and filters! i would have loved to have this in its prime, i bet it was the fastest saab from the factory

·
Registered
385 Posts
there are saab TCS manuals on the net.. try Townsend site as a first search start ?
The throttle on the TC cars is electrically/motor operated, a potentiometer on the gas pedal tells the throttle body motor where to position the butterfly/flapper.
The Big vacuum pot on the throttle body AND the cable are ONLY there for use during Limp home mode.. When in 'limp home' mode you Will know it :)
Normally the TCS throttle has a Very light pressure throttle pedal... lighter than non tcs cars.
In Limp home the throttle is like pressing a brick (yer fighting the vac pot) and the engine barely runs.

31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are saab TCS manuals on the net.. try Townsend site as a first search start ?
The throttle on the TC cars is electrically/motor operated, a potentiometer on the gas pedal tells the throttle body motor where to position the butterfly/flapper.
The Big vacuum pot on the throttle body AND the cable are ONLY there for use during Limp home mode.. When in 'limp home' mode you Will know it :)
Normally the TCS throttle has a Very light pressure throttle pedal... lighter than non tcs cars.
In Limp home the throttle is like pressing a brick (yer fighting the vac pot) and the engine barely runs.
the gas pedal is harder to press than usual but not like pressing a brick. i wiggled the cable and it seemed like the butterfly/flapper moved and she started idling normal. maybe it was just outta place. maybe the potentiometer (whatever that is) is bad or going bad. the tcs light went out a couple days ago just to come back on this morning but would dim out while driving and come back on after braking. what sensors should i check?

31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i didn't realize the pressure difference because i've never owned a saab. i'm used to a 91 mustang 5.0 with power. this gas pedal is about the same pressure to press. therefor it must be in limp mode but fighting it because it doesn't want to make the trip to the bone yard! :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
It could be as simple as the Red/White Check valve in the vac line going south.
Problem is that's a $45 part and there are No substitutes that won't cause grief.
Could even be a cracked vac line. Find em all and check them over carefully.
Book of TCS instruction:
tcsabsvoltckindex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts