Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here are some pics from the weekend's work. The gauge pod turned out real nice and I messed around with the C900 plug cover. You can also see some of the photos of me at work using resin infusion molding, the only way to fly or lay CF in this case. I also came up with an idea of using a rear trunk spoiler lip from the M5 on the roof line. I will play with this and see how it looks. Enjoy!

[/list]

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
oooooo boy !! those look really really clean kevin! great work!! that cover looks incredible!! and that pillar...nice! you were right tose were mighty tasty!
unbelivable how youve taught yourself to do all this! cant wait to see evrything finished......!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were only that easy.... :cry: I have been working on the carbon stuff for little less than a year and have had prior experience working with glass, so that helped a little but not a lot. A number of guys have said to me, "I worked in glass and have a lot of experience, carbon fiber can't be any harder." Well, my friends, its like going from high school ball straight to the major leagues. With carbon, you are mostly dealing with clear finishes because everyone wants to see the 2x2 twill weave, whereas with glass you can cover up an mistakes with a colored gel coat or paint. With CF, you have to make sure there are no bubbles, the weave lays nicely, the molds are perfect without any bondo filler, and that the materials are clear. So, its been a long road with a lot of wasted parts using trial and error, but things are turning out really nice now and I have made some really good contacts with some really skilled guys. Basically, all systems go. The hood and wing should be done by the end of next week since I know everyone is getting tired of seeing the little stuff - More stuff to come!

·
Registered
745 Posts
:shock: that's some nice stuff your making,. 8)

when will you go into mass production on those pretty soon? how much would you be wanting for them?

You can do just about anything looks like.., what about an exhaust system? Hmmm, wishful thinking I guess.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
well kevin for under a year i think your work is very impressive! and yeah ive tried laying glass and that alone isnt easy i couldnt imagine how much patience you must have!! haha
also kevin where abouts in san jose are you....i live by valley fair......

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A-pillars: no current plan for plain driver's side pillar cover.

Pricing: initial pricing is listed in the other CF thread and will be on my new website soon.

Hoods: Hoods take about two weeks for a single hood. But this is not a parrallel process and several can be started staggered. I will make a hood up soon and you can see what it looks like.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
cool im in tthe rosegarden neighborhood...if you ever need any 9-3 parts just give me a hollar! :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
i love the look of the pillar and the gauges.
Good work.

Can't wait to see the final master piece :D

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
HIDSPG said:
As long as you making things I've always wanted a carbon hood for my C900. Now that would be badass!!!! And with the way everything else has turned out! I say PLEASE!!!!!!
BAD idea- the hoods on the c900's are like 90% of the reason for why the frnt ends are so damn safe on the oldies. Without all that metal - you are no safer then a Geo Metro.... in the front anyways. No need for a Carbon Fiber hood on a c900 - it would just look stupid.... that's my opinion anyways. :shock: :roll:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the topic of C900 hoods, while you do have some good points about crash impacts, there has been a lot of inquiry about these hoods. So, for both the hood and the whale tale for C900, there are probably going to end up be supplied through an existing Saab performance parts supplier (to be named at a later date). My agreement with them would preclude me from selling them directly.

Interestingly, I have read some studies on CF hoods and crash impacts. The study suggested that the CF hoods tend to break under impact similar to steel hoods. However, instead of the crumple zone effect, CF tends to splinter and shatter into pieces. The good side to this is that you are probably not going to be killed ala Exorcist by a flying CF hood skin, the bad side is that CF pieces with shatter everywhere. Now this presumes it is a straight CF hood or with fiber glass core like many of the hoods you see on the market today that are real cheap. If you were to put Kevlar in the hood, that would totally change the behavior of the hood causing it to probably stay in one piece (not good for something you would want to break).

Most of the import hoods like VIS or Fiber Images just have a single layer of CF on the top of the hood for appearances and are then wet laid up with fiber glass weave mats (kinda defeats the whole purpose of CF). However, it does make them cheap. I have had a few people ask why my prices are "soooo high" :roll: when they can find one on eBay for $300. My parts, including hoods, are made from only CF or CF/Kevlar weave where requested using resin infusion techniques that are near ideal for resin to fabric ratios. Also, since I use an internal core built into the hood, there is no need for the subframe on the underside of the hood. The only place for the subframe is the latch and hinge attaching points. However, for NG900/9-3 and 9000 hoods, there are not any hood strut mounting points. I can do this on a request basis, but this will increase the cost of the hood since the plates will have to be welded and the little ball nut attachments for the strut will have to be sourced (scrap yard or from the customer's existing hood)

Now, the 9000 hoods are on my list and the buyer of the 9000 Aero I tuned wants one, but with all the product I have in development right now, it is down on the list unless a large number of buyers turned up. I am just trying to shift the ratio a little more on the production side and less on the R&D side because it takes a lot of time and money with none coming in. So, sales will need to fuel future development efforts that are outside my own personal interests or current NG900 project needs.
Kevin

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's really a nice job

Kevin..

Your CF work look very very nice. You know I am working in a trading company down here. Maybe I can promote your masterpieces here.

Stone

1 - 20 of 20 Posts