Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we can see below, the real bottleneck in this power game is the turbo. Sure, the car needs to flow well, but in the case of a TD04, 5cm type, one cannot expect much, especially when we see just how much more power the upgraded wheels can put down once that puny TD04 is maxed out. My goal is to keep my car reliable, safe, well tuned for optimal gas, and give it some more zip knowing that I won't ever go bigger than a TD04.

JZW's T5 numbers and recommended/necessary? upgrades:

Stage 3 ECU, full 3" exhaust, viggen intercooler - plus 85hp

Stage 3+ Stage 3 and ETS intercooler - plus 95hp

Stage 4 Stage 3+ and TD04 turbo - plus 105hp

Larger wheel such as 18T/19T and larger injectors=155hp...LOL...way more than the highest Staged TD04.

Questions=

1) Is it impossible to go beyond a Stage 1 without at least upgrading the downpipe OR what stage can one go to using the stock T7-Viggen Exhaust?

2) If aftermarket DP/Exhaust is necessary, wouldn't a 3" VER2 DP along with the stock Viggen Cat-Back be more than sufficient considering Nick has run a lot more power in one of his past cars using only the 3" DP w/Viggen cat-back?

3) With respect to going to a Stage 3+, is the ETS really necessary? If so, what is the point if one is only gaining 10BHP more, but at quite a hefty expense? Stage 4 means adding the TD04 and adds 10BHP. Wouldn't having a TD04 already put me at Stage 3+ in spite not having the ETS?

I really question the exhaust all-together only because other cars that have puny stock exhausts can put down more power stock than can even Stage 5 (18T/19T) 2.0L Saabs.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Answers:

1) No, but you risk high EGTs. The stock downpipe/cat is quite restrictive (the cat back however, is not...you can go to impressive power levels with the stock mufflers and piping if you just replace the DP/cat)

2) Yes

3) The ETS gains you less heatsoak. So this means more consistent power delivery. You can make almost as much power with the Viggen intercooler for stage 3/3+/4 levels, but it will heat soak quickly and power will drop off. And yes, if you put on a TD04 and keep a stock intercooler, but get software for the TD04, that's techically around a Stage 3+ (I hate staging terms).

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
its a jak ecu, one of his marketing ploys was to advertise 10 more hp than anyone else,

i called him out on guaranteeing me a bunch more power via a mailbox tune compared to an in person from someone else and he threatened to sue me LOL

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
On what terms would he be suing you lol?

Just to add to the thread, I found that my stock intercooler heatsoaks pretty easily. I did 2 second gear pulls just messing around one day, stopped off at the grocery store and did 1 or 2 more similar pulls later. On my last pull, I noticed the ecu pulling back on boost, not even going near the red zone. I know I'll be doing an aftermarket intercooler at some point.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Ducting can improve efficiency some, it will not help flow. The Viggen IC flows pretty well for the air volumes a 2.0-2.3L engine will push through with a TD04 turbo, it starts to bottleneck at higher CFM's.

Ducting means improving the airflow around the IC area (Corky Bell has a very good section on how to design the geometry of ducted areas in his book, Maximum Boost).

Because of the stock IC location, ducting isn't really all that feasible, nor will it yield much benefit.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ducting can improve efficiency some, it will not help flow. The Viggen IC flows pretty well for the air volumes a 2.0-2.3L engine will push through with a TD04 turbo, it starts to bottleneck at higher CFM's.

Ducting means improving the airflow around the IC area (Corky Bell has a very good section on how to design the geometry of ducted areas in his book, Maximum Boost).

Because of the stock IC location, ducting isn't really all that feasible, nor will it yield much benefit.
That's what I figured. I live in a cooler/temperate climate that is 65 degrees in the summer and basically 50 degrees or colder for the rest of the year. I think all the rain we get is a natural sprayer:)) Not sure how much it helps, but seems the lower temps outside would help overall vs. a person doing runs in 70-100 degree weather for a lot of the year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts