Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title reads.

I ask because I have found a few posts that say the later year cars, including LPT that received the nimonic valves, while the early cars did not except for the Viggens. To add to the confusion I have also found there were two different part numbers for the nimonics. I only know of one pn 9179219.

Is there any way to identify the Nimonic valves from the standard issue?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
The nimonic valves used in the "R" motors are identifiable by a small dent about 6mm in the face of the valve (From the piston side) Think it was the -04 onwards "L" motor 220hp that had the R parts too. There may be some mixed in.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

So how much of a difference will it make if I go without the nimonics? I found something on putting T5 valves in a T7 allows for stiffer spring use and less potential valve float issues at higher rpm. Is that a better route?

I still have my stock 235r head, I just wanted to build up this extra head and do a swap at some point this winter. With the nimonics at 110 a piece, just want to know if there are any other good options.
Matt

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I have run 7200 with T5 and 264 cams in my Vig for years, never touched the head other than inspect it during upgrades. Wouldn't worry about 7k. Swapping valves and valve guides is an expensive pain. If you are going standalone and headed to 8k then I would make some changes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good. Appreciate the advice.

I have a feeling they are the nimonics as I recall there being the indents on the value faces you mentioned, I will have to check them when I get back. I did find an article online identifying new changes for the 2001 MY and they noted that the 9-5 lpt cars were now being equipped with the same nimonic valves of the aero. So that'd be cool if thats the case.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I checked the head...yup it has the indented exhaust valves! Pretty sweet, 50 dollar head with 800 bucks worth in valves!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts