Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i've read stuff about it before but can't find any info now. those of you with the t5suite stage one quick tune... what kind of change in fuel economy did you see. with my auto doing normal suburban driving i see a pretty consistent twenty mpg. now that i seem to have got the odd engine issues sorted out i'm thinking about getting the standard st1 tune. although the power increase especially in first will be a welcome change i need to be able to justify the non repair expense. anyone have hard numbers of what kind of increase you saw? something i could use to figure out how quickly i would save back the money i spend on the tune in fuel savings

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have a custom tune by Mike D., I guess it would be equivalent of a "stage 2", with a td04. I get around 27mpg normal driving around here, got 32mpg on 200 miles of highway. 5 speed manual by the way.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a custom tuned stage 5 or whatever on my viggen and city driving in Chicago I get 22 and that is me spinning the tires like crazy at times. On the freeway, easily 33. If you have to worry about gas mileage, then you shouldn't get a tune.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Around here I am only getting 24mpg with either stock or t25 stage 3.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
on a heartbreaker dyno it got like 196whp, and 22x torque....
I will have to re-dyno this car, I feel like it is making a bit more than 196 :)

On Topic:
Gas mileage is reflective of how you drive, if you are constantly in positive pressures with a tune, spinning tires exct, you will get shit gas mileage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it does take fuel to make power but afr is also more important and running insanely rich as the stock map does is bad for both power and economy. also with actually having power comes different driving style. not having to put the pedal to wot and run to redline just to pass someone at 45 going up hill is good for economy.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
I will have to re-dyno this car, I feel like it is making a bit more than 196 :)

On Topic:
Gas mileage is reflective of how you drive, if you are constantly in positive pressures with a tune, spinning tires exct, you will get shit gas mileage.
Not to drag this back from the dead, but the car made a whopping 197whp and 246 lbft. It was held back from the boost not holding thats for sure.

Oh and for MPGs, the car got 30mpg before and 30mpg after tune. The average was always 30.0 on the SID.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't believe what the SID tells you. My readout on my 9k tells me I AVERAGE 36 mpg - when I calculated the average consumption over that same time (5 fill ups) I got 30. Also, my Viggen is reading 24 mpg combined and I calculated it at over 29 during that same period. In my book that's a significant error. I do mostly highway, both are currently stock and Viggen is barely broken in after rebuild.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My SID says I'm getting 58mpg but I think it's a little less ;-)

Stock with exhaust, I got 27mpg mixed highway and city driving. With stage 3 tune, 30mpg with the same mixed highway and city driving.

A couple weeks ago I was tuning for fuel economy on my way from Kansas City to Salt Lake City and only got 30mpg.. at 80mph.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts