Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
thread resurrection how hard is it to install t5 cams, and like can i put the t7 cams back into the t5 which they came from and have the car run fine?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Straightforward - one of the simplest and least expensive upgrades you can do. And, yes, you can put the t7 cams into a t5 and it will run fine - maybe a bit less power but it will run fine.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You should only do this if you have a bigger turbo, putting T5 cams in a stock motor is not going to do much if anything. It's when you move to more air where these can make a difference. You will loose some Low end but gain pulling power from mid to high rpm. But if the turbo runs out of steam, then the cams will to, so to speak.
This is not to say that putting these cams in a stock car is going to kill perf because they will not, but its best to put money and time in other mods before this upgrade.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You should only do this if you have a bigger turbo, putting T5 cams in a stock motor is not going to do much if anything. It's when you move to more air where these can make a difference. You will loose some Low end but gain pulling power from mid to high rpm. But if the turbo runs out of steam, then the cams will to, so to speak.
This is not to say that putting these cams in a stock car is going to kill perf because they will not, but its best to put money and time in other mods before this upgrade.
This.

I have them in a mildly tuned Aero, and while I like them, I will say that they change the way that you drive the car, if you like perky response. Expect to use more gas, due to the fact that you're going to shuffle your low end up, say, 600rpm or so. My car packs a hell of a 'whallop' at just under 3k, now, and it likes to be driven , if you're driving quickly, at around 3k.

You do, however, notice more power and stronger pulling up in the rev range, unlike stock t7 cams, which fall flat on their face by 5k or so.

I'm not sure the gas milage differences if you drive in the 'same' rev range as before; just don't expect much torque down there. I never drive it here unless i'm on the highway, it seems.

Worthwhile? I had them around from an old car, so sure. But it'll take a while, and you WILL change your driving style to that of a higher-revving type driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts