Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now my car (1999 Viggen ~75k miles) has been clunking in the front right suspension over anything more than the smallest of bumps. It sounds like parts mashing into each other, but not metal on metal.

My first inclination was to think it was the nut holding the damper in the strut. After installing my koni kit the left side made a similar noise and that turned out to be the problem, but this time it was already very tight and was not the cause.

One of the employees at the local shop said he'd heard similar noises on VWs that turned out to be poly bushings, and he thinks its my GS inner poly bushings. I wasn't inclined to agree, but now that I've entirely rebuilt the strut, and checked torques on every nut and bolt in the front suspension and subframe I'm at a loss for what else it could be.

Has anyone else ever heard of these poly bushings causing noise? Is it possible to get stock replacements without buying the entire control arm? Or perhaps I'd be better off getting the race hard version and hoping they last a bit longer?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Did you renew the strut mounts?
For a while now my car (1999 Viggen ~75k miles) has been clunking in the front right suspension over anything more than the smallest of bumps. It sounds like parts mashing into each other, but not metal on metal.

My first inclination was to think it was the nut holding the damper in the strut. After installing my koni kit the left side made a similar noise and that turned out to be the problem, but this time it was already very tight and was not the cause.

One of the employees at the local shop said he'd heard similar noises on VWs that turned out to be poly bushings, and he thinks its my GS inner poly bushings. I wasn't inclined to agree, but now that I've entirely rebuilt the strut, and checked torques on every nut and bolt in the front suspension and subframe I'm at a loss for what else it could be.

Has anyone else ever heard of these poly bushings causing noise? Is it possible to get stock replacements without buying the entire control arm? Or perhaps I'd be better off getting the race hard version and hoping they last a bit longer?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Did you replace the whole control arm when you put the poly bushings in?
The ball joints may be worn out.
75k miles isn't too many, but 17" wheels tend to wear the ball joints out fairly quickly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The strut mounts were new with the springs and dampers. They are the poly reinforced ones from GS. First the the bushings went into the original control arms, but that side's arm has been replaced since then when my ball joint started to go out (found it a bit soft and replaced it while doing the wheel bearing). I do not recall seeing any wear on the bushing when we swapped it into the new arm, but perhaps moving it over left it in a new orientation that caused it to wear unusually or something. The rear control arm has also had its bushing replaced with a new OEM one. I couldn't find any unusual play while it was up on the lift, but with the poly bushings things are so stiff that maybe its there but takes more force than pulling and pushing by hand reveals.

Also, I forgot to mention previously, but we attached some microphone clips to the front control arms on both sides and drove around a bumpy lot. The right hand one did make more noise, but I wasn't really familiar with using the equipment, and I already figured the noise was coming from around there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.