Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted Dunlop SP Sport 9000 tyres in 205/50/16 recently on Super Aeros, and found that on rough roads I was getting rub from the back. I got some heavy duty turbo springs and Sachs Sport dampers fitted at the rear, which has brought the back of the car up a little so it looks level. The handling is transformed - it feels like a new car. The steering is spot on, almost no understeer, the car doesn't sway at all on sharp corners, and feels very solid. And there is no more tyre rub, even on farm tracks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lowering the front may improve handling ,it depends how bad the rear suspension is - literally 90% of C900's I've seen have some rear sag, which can get bad enough for the top of the tyres to not be visible in the wheel arch. By firming up the back you reduce the tendency to understeer. I was thinking of using these same Sachs shocks but with Sachs lowering springs (-40mm) all round, but where I live the roads are pretty rough so I need a bit more clearance. I went down the coast road yesterday and there are several humpback bridges and dips - I had all 4 wheels off the ground on many occasions, and did not once get tyre rub.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You're talking about the OEM heavy duty rear turbo springs?

I've often thought about putting those on a 900. Seems like the perfect stiffening upgrade if you don't want to loose clearance. Now if only there was a similar product for the front of the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are made by a company called Ventura in Holland, but are model specific to the C900 turbo, and the same height as the original Aero ones. I got them from Eurocarparts, who list the heavy duty turbo ones for the rear and sport ones for the front. Cost about £20 per spring. I think the reason they only do the stiffer heavy duty ones for the rear is due to the load carrying, but they definitely make a huge difference to handling when unladen.

·
7,595 Posts
That's interesting! I think I want some rear air spring inserts to level out my ride height. I am quite happy with the handling with the stock SPG springs however I do notice that under hefty loads, the rear is riding LOW, much more so than I think it should be...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just feel like posting something…..

Finally got most of the rear suspension together….
Group9 Intrax red springs
Koni 3 way adjustable shocks
Polly bushings where ever possible….

Can’t wait to try her out…..

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,028 Posts
Has anyone explored the fitting of after-market anti-sway bars to their C900's? I've delved into the subject a bit via a posting in my site's web-forums and a thread in my C900 mailing list, but have not yet acted on anything and purchased some of the gear!

Since this forum probably has a lot more exposure than the forums, list, etc. on my site, what do you all think about the issue of anti-sway bars being retro-fitted to C900's? As you'll see from the forum and mailing list archives on my site, I've found two different places which are offering anti-sway bars that fit C900's...

I plan on doing a lot of work on the suspension on my cars early next year, including replacing all bushes with polyurethane ones, and perhaps upgrading the springs and shocks. I've looked closely at lowered spring kits like the Intrax ones that are sold by a few Ebay sellers, but I don't know enough about that aspect to figure out how I'd want to go as it would mean replacing the shocks as well.

Regards,

Craig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts