Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Viggen for two years now and finally have some extra cash to replace worn suspension components. I still have some questions/concerns after doing extensive searching on this site and others.

1. Koni Sport and daily driving - How is it on full soft? Roads around Boston are horrible and I still want a fairly comfortable ride. The reason why I am upgrading is my car bounces all over the place and the ride is horrible (due to what I think is worn shocks). I have heard that a few members say the ride is alright on full soft as a DD but just want to get some more info as it is a good chunk to throw down.

2. Poly bushings - any and how much harshness is added to the ride? As said before, roads are bad but want to improve ride and handling. Is it just increased road feel or harshness over large bumps and sharp creases in the road that may not be comfortable? Also, left control arm was replaced a year ago due to bad ball joint but right not yet. Might consider just replacing the right control arm and get the Koni kit and strut mounts. Worth it to save a couple hundred or get new (both sides) with poly bushings?

I don't need a cushy ride but I would like to at least enjoy the car and improve it while still being completely acceptable as my daily driver. Car has 122k and mechanicaly, runs perfect. Just not 100% convinced about dropping clsoe to $2k on a suspension overhaul. Already have SRB&C, 6 point, rear ARB, and poly trans mounts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Koni kit is great!! I have had the kit on my viggen for 30K miles now & it rides better then before & goes through the turns better to..... do it.....

not sure on all the poly stuff, I didn't do it. Friend/mechanic to me to keep it stock & I forget the reasoning.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
i heard through the grapevine that the koni kit is out of stock at GS with no ETA unfortunately. i was about ready to order just shocks also, as the ride on my car has gotten rough and tramlines a lot.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I get truck shipments of Konis every month. Normally a few pallets at least. The parts are coming and filled by order date. Sometimes we get more and add stock others Koni has less than we need.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update Nick, you can ignore my recent email.

Koni kit seems like the way to go then but open to hear more thoughts if they are out there. Any thoughts on full poly bushings and daily ride quality? Trying to decide should I replace both LCAs (with bushings) and start new or just the right side as the left was replaced a year ago.

·
Registered
671 Posts
my pov

I have had my Viggen for two years now and finally have some extra cash to replace worn suspension components. I still have some questions/concerns after doing extensive searching on this site and others.

1. Koni Sport and daily driving - How is it on full soft? Roads around Boston are horrible and I still want a fairly comfortable ride. The reason why I am upgrading is my car bounces all over the place and the ride is horrible (due to what I think is worn shocks). I have heard that a few members say the ride is alright on full soft as a DD but just want to get some more info as it is a good chunk to throw down.

2. Poly bushings - any and how much harshness is added to the ride? As said before, roads are bad but want to improve ride and handling. Is it just increased road feel or harshness over large bumps and sharp creases in the road that may not be comfortable? Also, left control arm was replaced a year ago due to bad ball joint but right not yet. Might consider just replacing the right control arm and get the Koni kit and strut mounts. Worth it to save a couple hundred or get new (both sides) with poly bushings?

I don't need a cushy ride but I would like to at least enjoy the car and improve it while still being completely acceptable as my daily driver. Car has 122k and mechanicaly, runs perfect. Just not 100% convinced about dropping clsoe to $2k on a suspension overhaul. Already have SRB&C, 6 point, rear ARB, and poly trans mounts.

Thanks!
1. Koni: YES! Both yellow sport adjustable shock absorbers and the matching blue sport lowering springs front and rear! For a Viggen, this is a must!

2. Poly bushings...depends on what you want/aim/prefer. I daily drive my conv., with full polys, steering rack, 6 point brace, s.o., and I totally love how it handles ;) Mind the 19" rims, to that!

Actually, there still is room for improvement to the suspension (even if it means less amortization), i.e. coilovers and spherical bushings...

Nick T. should chime in, with his good in-depth knowledge ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1. Koni: YES! Both yellow sport adjustable shock absorbers and the matching blue sport lowering springs front and rear! For a Viggen, this is a must!

2. Poly bushings...depends on what you want/aim/prefer. I daily drive my conv., with full polys, steering rack, 6 point brace, s.o., and I totally love how it handles ;) Mind the 19" rims, to that!

Actually, there still is room for improvement to the suspension (even if it means less amortization), i.e. coilovers and spherical bushings...

Nick T. should chime in, with his good in-depth knowledge ;)
Aiming for a nice DD with sporting intentions. Not what I have right now with stock suspension (not great to start now add wear due to age). I will probably never track this car. I am sure the polys are nice but for 85% of my commute the roads here are horrible, rough and full of potholes. AV, still a comfortable ride over these types of conditions? Not sure how much LCA bushings affect the dampening.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'd get stage 1 bushings for about 100 bucks from GS. I haven't had a chance to really push my car with the new bushings but the wheels seem like they're less bouncy/less prone to spinach. My OEM bushings weren't in the best of shape to begin with.

The difference to me hasn't been huge, but I think once I get the terrible suspension parts fixed (at least one broken spring, rust holes in the spring seat, rough shocks), it will all come together nicely.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have the koni kit in my Viggen..and I just did the poly bushings about 3 weeks ago. I run 18" wheels and I love how the car is....

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd refresh everything, replacing worn parts/ bushings along with the koni kit.

Personally I have bilstein shocks on stock springs with poly on the control arms and antiroll bar with a 6pt subframe and rear chassis brace and I'm happy with the handling/feel as a DD. Springs would definitely do wonders with the car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate the input. I am for sure going to get the Koni kit and leaning towards full poly control arms.

I am hoping a few of the rattles will be eliminated with the Koni kit on soft as I am not getting much dampening right now from my worn suspension. Sharp bumps and cracks are pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Sharp bumps and cracks are pretty bad.
On Highway 52 in New York, they must've thought it was funny to fill in the barely noticeable cracks (every 10 feet). So instead of a little crack, there is a 2 inch high bump for about 5 miles, thanks NY taxes.

On topic, I know what you mean about bumps being bad, for some reason bumps are unbearable in both of my NG's, so honestly I am so used to it that going KONI's wouldn't make a difference. If you are running on "dead" suspension, you will probably not notice a decrease in ride comfort at all.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Koni kit for sure. I wanted it comfortable for DD too so I stayed with the rubber bushings. Another member here (Quattro?) just switched back from poly to oem for more comfort.

I have my Koni's set 1 full turn up from full soft and I find it's great for DD.

Get: Koni kit, new control arms or bushings, sway bar links, tie rod ends, strut mounts + bearings.

The only poly bushing I would do is the big 1 in the middle of the control arm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Nick, I have most of what you speak of. Just looking to get Koni kit, strut mounts and bearings, possible poly bushings to finish up the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been daily driving my Viggen in Boston for years with the Konis and Eibachs, and I like it better than stock for both comfort and handling. Compared to worn oem springs/shocks, it seemed to have less impact harshness but more overall roll resistance. So the car feels more taut, but not quite as jarring when you hit an expansion joint. It doesn't turn the car into a BMW in this regard, but it's a step in the right direction compared to stock.

I wouldn't count on less rattles from the Konis, though - they aren't that soft. It seemed the Konis "broke in" a bit and became a bit softer after a few months, but whether that is real or I just got used to them is hard to quantify.

bottom line, I would defiinitely do the Konis, one of my favorite upgrades.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks stevbd. I work in Boston and also want more out of my Viggen in terms of ride and handling. Stock 139k stuff isn't working, especially with the new 225's. Just put nick's 22 ARB back in and it still has some LEAN. Koni full kit seems the path of the righteous but I can't swing the $700 right now.

Also. . as a CV, it sucks WAAAAAYYYY more.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts