Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
whats your budget like. If you have the cash i would go to a local muffler shop and see if they can mandrel bend you a whole new exhaust and put a big ol resonator midstream. If you want it quieter add a muffler in the rear.
My local shop stocks dynomax and magnaflow mufflers and resonators and i usually just go in and look at what they have then go from there. Its usually cheaper than buying a whole new exhaust which on these cars are upwards of $500. If your flanges can be cleaned up they can cut them off and weld them up on the new one.

Some people say "but the companies that make those exhaust do all this research and development and yada yada yada ". But they also sell the mufflers individually for a reason. People like me who dont like to drop $500 on an exhaust. And I cannot see there being that huge of a power difference in what my local guys make and a aftermarket company makes. just make sure you go someplace that does mandrel bending not that crimped crap!

thats my opinion anyways.....

·
Registered
879 Posts
Why isn't your exhaust hanging on the hangers?

I bought a magnaflow on Ebay for $60 and then had it fitted at a local exhaust shop. I wouldn't recommend driving without the rear box unless you like loud.

Also, good thing you cleaned the sump when you did, doesn't look like the screen could hold much more gunk before it would be completely clogged.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why isn't your exhaust hanging on the hangers?

I bought a magnaflow on Ebay for $60 and then had it fitted at a local exhaust shop. I wouldn't recommend driving without the rear box unless you like loud.

Also, good thing you cleaned the sump when you did, doesn't look like the screen could hold much more gunk before it would be completely clogged.
The exhaust leak is on the top of the muffler. Had it down for inspection.

What sort of magnaflow did you get? Just a universal?

Inlet offset? etc?

The triangle design of the stock muffler is pretty original = crazy to find fitament?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Exhaust shops do the best work...I bought a Simons from The Saab Site (I do like these guys) but the exhaust was pretty cheap...and many times you get not so great quality because they have to make it able to ship and the use clamps to seal the exhaust...an exhaust shop can weld all the joints and that is so much better...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust shops do the best work...I bought a Simons from The Saab Site (I do like these guys) but the exhaust was pretty cheap...and many times you get not so great quality because they have to make it able to ship and the use clamps to seal the exhaust...an exhaust shop can weld all the joints and that is so much better...
Yes I plan to do this - have it welded - I just need a good universal muffler to supply to shop!

Any ideas on that?

·
Registered
879 Posts
The exhaust leak is on the top of the muffler. Had it down for inspection.

What sort of magnaflow did you get? Just a universal?

Inlet offset? etc?

The triangle design of the stock muffler is pretty original = crazy to find fitament?
Just a standard, straight, 2.5" magnaflow oval muffler. 5"X8"X14" Part # 12216. Good quality stainless steel construction. I painted mine flat black so it's stealth (aftermarket exhuasts are technically illegal in my state).

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8678

The triangle shape of the stock muffler appears like it would create a problem, but because it's so large it's very easy to fit a smaller aftermarket muffler in it's place. A competent exhaust shop should have no trouble with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a standard, straight, 2.5" magnaflow oval muffler. 5"X8"X14" Part # 12216. Good quality stainless steel construction. I painted mine flat black so it's stealth (aftermarket exhuasts are technically illegal in my state).

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8678

The triangle shape of the stock muffler appears like it would create a problem, but because it's so large it's very easy to fit a smaller aftermarket muffler in it's place. A competent exhaust shop should have no trouble with it.
You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! This is exactly what I need, I may get it in mild steel though?

Custom exhaust is legal in Canada so long as you don't remove your cats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts