Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 saab 9-5 SE. Bought of CL 2 yrs ago. The check engine signal gave p0442 code but no one could figure out problem. Smoketest from saab dealership in Pensacola, Fl, said I need a new gas tank for 1300 because the seal on the top are leaking vapor. Car ran fine. Needed a new fuel filter, just replaced that. Now car is misfiring, does not want to start unless I turn off ac and rev it up. I know nothing about cars! Sputtering down road and today engine light started FLASHING. Again, code po442, now also codes p1303 and p0303. Says for cylinder 3 misfire. Could this be caused by that expensive hose leaking vapor on the top of the fuel tank? I REALLY appreciate your help and suggestions. Question is, can leaking gas vapors cause misfire in cylinder 3? Thanks, Lauren :)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
If you're leaking vapor, that would mean your fuel pressure would be down, causing a lean running condition (bad on these cars). I'm sure you don't need a whole new fuel tank, possibly just the seal. Look on eEuroparts.com and see if its on there.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
If you're leaking vapor, that would mean your fuel pressure would be down, causing a lean running condition (bad on these cars). I'm sure you don't need a whole new fuel tank, possibly just the seal. Look on eEuroparts.com and see if its on there.
You are incorrect. A EVAP system leak will not cause fuel pressure to drop. The misfire and evap leak are probably not related. Have you checked the spark plugs? How old is you ignition Cassette? I would look at those things first.

·
Registered
811 Posts
sounds to me if its only cylinder 3 its going to be a cracked spark plug or bad di or something to that effect...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!!

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will check the spark plugs first, then the ignition cassette, and fuel line. I can not thank you guys enough! I love this forum! Lauren :)

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will check the spark plugs first, then the ignition cassette, and fuel line. I can not thank you guys enough! I love this forum! Lauren :)
You shoudl have only NGK BCPR6ES plugs in there no other compatible brands work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts