Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, so new england just got pounded with snow recently, big deal, snow is snow, well, you know how sometimes part of the wiper will freeze up and it'll make a big splotch on the windshield of where it doesn't clean? well, this happened to me. also, you know how if you hold the wiper control switch in the right spot you can stop it in it's path? well, i was driving down the road, and i thought it'd stop it in it's upmost position and smack it a few times to clean it off, i've done this like three other times, so i know it works... well, this time i hit a bump and my hand slipped off the lever, and i busted my drivers side whiper, this sucks, and the snow is coming down at about 4 inches an hour, which isn't light, but isn't to to fast. so i get to the parking lot where my friends and i were going to do some donuts, and i get out, and the wiper doesn't move at all... shit, the stuff is starting to freeze to the drivers side... so i give my windshield a few quick wipes with my hand, then i get in and follow my friend home. the whole time with no wiper on the drivers side, i figured i'd try anyway, you know, just for kicks and whatnot, so i flip to the mist and release. it works, holy crap, it works, but it only goes up 3/4 of the way, but who cares it worked. so i tried it again, nothing, shit, i broke it again, so i said, one more try, and i did it and it worked, same height as before. so i tried this a few more times, and then it seamed like it'd work every other wipe. so me being a dumbass and all, i decided to see what would happen if i put it on high... well, it stopped working after about one wipe. man am i stupid. so i get home, and go inside and sleep cause i'm sick. the next day we had no school, and i decided not to touch my car, and to leave the snow on it, so that today (thursday), i could take my mom's car to school and do some burnouts with it :D anyway, i got home and brushed the snow off my car, and decided to take a look, well, i could move the wiper on my own... not good, so i popped the little cap off the end of the wiper, and then undid the bolt, the bolt wasn't tight at all, i could undo it with my hand with no effort at all, i'm not sure if that's right. but after i pried the arm off the shaft thingy, i noticed that there were groves on the part that spins on the car, and that there aren't any groves on the arm, they are all shinny... i stripped it i concluded, but just to make sure i didn't burn out the motor, i turned on the wipers, sure enough, the thing spun, i had stripped it.

now, what do i do? i was thinking i could just super glue the arm back on, and then tighten the bolt back on, would this work??

any suggestions? because i need my car for tomorrow, and don't have time to get a new arm, or the money...

~justin

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
are the arms the same on that car for both sides?? Would it at all be deemable to put the working arm on the drivers side and NOTHING in the other? Just a thought if you don't have time to get a wiper arm in 24 hours. Check e-bay since ya gotta get one anyways for an arm - u never know. Good Luck! 8) :p

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
another wiper question, today i was driving home in some heavy rain, and had my wipers going constant. After a few minutes, I started to smell something, that smelled like something was burning. Im going to speculate, but hope to god it isnt, my wiper motors are burning up running fast like that. Has anyone else had a problem like this??
Brian

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
i drove through 50 miles of interstate with 2 inches of standing water on top of it, a fkin hurricane outside, and no wipers, in my uncle's toyota truck. even with wipers you couldnt see 30 ft ahead of you. might i recommend against that?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i fixed my wipers, i was thinking about doing some dremel action on the stripped part on the arm, and then super glue it back to the good part on the car, but i didn't want to do that, because it's too hard to get off.

so i decided to try and tighten the loose bolt back down on the thing since it was so loose, so i tightened it down, and sure enough it works now!

~justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts