Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has put a full sound system in their convertible. I have a 2000 9-3 vert and want a full system. I have a h/u already, just need help with subs. Any advice or pics would be great.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm close to finishing my system this week, just need to do one or two small things then build the sub enclosure and I'm done. My Project threads below:

http://www.saablink.net/forum/customizing-your-ng900-old-9-3/59430.htm

Ref the sub I'm just making a simple sealed enclosure for now (either that or buy a 0.75 or 1.0 cubic ft 10" pre-made box, then make the hole a little wider to fit my 11" Focal sub)

What I'd really like to do though is make a fibreglass enclosure and have the sub at the side on the boot to give a little more boot space as my amps taken up half the boot!!

Something nice & neat this:
UKSaabs • View topic - custom fibreglass enclosure

I've never tried it before though so not sure if I could pull it off:frown:

What system have you got fitted? HU, amps & speakers etc

·
Registered
222 Posts
Forgot to mention!

Another route I've been fancying trying is bin my rear Focal 5.25" components and sub then get some Genesis P69 6x9 subs and fit them instead....meant to give a nice sound plus it free's up some boot space!

Worth a look here:
06.05.2006: Interior - photo.platonoff.com

Looks like a fair bit of work but after listening to a friends car with a high end system I'm now convinced rear speakers are not really needed unless you've got rear passengers, which I never have! Much better to have a decent component set up at the front and sub in the rear to give it some bass.

HTH Dave

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You can also throw the sub in the spare tire compartment. I put my morel sub there......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm close to finishing my system this week, just need to do one or two small things then build the sub enclosure and I'm done. My Project threads below:

http://www.saablink.net/forum/customizing-your-ng900-old-9-3/59430.htm

Ref the sub I'm just making a simple sealed enclosure for now (either that or buy a 0.75 or 1.0 cubic ft 10" pre-made box, then make the hole a little wider to fit my 11" Focal sub)

What I'd really like to do though is make a fibreglass enclosure and have the sub at the side on the boot to give a little more boot space as my amps taken up half the boot!!

Something nice & neat this:
UKSaabs • View topic - custom fibreglass enclosure

I've never tried it before though so not sure if I could pull it off:frown:

What system have you got fitted? HU, amps & speakers etc
I'm really liking your 9-3. I love the color.

I was looking at an enclosed kicker in a truck box. They're much smaller and slimmer considering they're made for a truck. But I'm not 100% sure if it would fit in my trunk. I don't have really any experience with this stuff at all so the whole fiberglass enclosures aren't for me haha. As of right now i only have an Alpine HU. I'm not sure what speakers to get yet, I haven't measured them yet to know what to look for. I'm also waiting to find out what kind of sub i want to get before i get an amp. So basically all I have going for myself is a HU lol

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I am also clueless in the fiberglass area..... I ended up paying a local shop to do the work

If you have a local shop you should be able to try a few of their boxes and see if they fit. Or you could make something out of wood or let them do it....

Sub wise lots of options.... what music do you listen to, how much money can you spend? & do you want it to be a SQ setup, SQL or just SPL?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never thought of that, I might take it up to a shop the next couple days and see what would fit.

I listen to a bit of everything, money isn't too much of an issue, i mean I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount. But I was just looking to have a SPL setup.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
When you are at the local shop check out what they have to offer.

I went with a moreultimate 12 sub, going for sq only. Love it! Originally I purchased a used alpine pdx1000.1 amp to power the sub. More power them I need but I prefer to much vs not enough.

Many love jl stuff..... Numerous other brands as well to consider.

·
Registered
222 Posts
X2 for spare wheel(or compartment)...

:cool:

Thats a real neat job!! Whats the spec on your system? :th_MySaab900Like:

I cant put the sub there as this amps taken up too much room :icon_frown: Even if I cut & hinged the floor I still cant get the wheel out...so I'm stuck with a can of tyre weld instead of a spare!!

Did you notice any difference in handling with the rear strut brace? I want to get mine done but it looks a right ball ache with the roof bag!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm really liking your 9-3. I love the color.

I was looking at an enclosed kicker in a truck box. They're much smaller and slimmer considering they're made for a truck. But I'm not 100% sure if it would fit in my trunk. I don't have really any experience with this stuff at all so the whole fiberglass enclosures aren't for me haha. As of right now i only have an Alpine HU. I'm not sure what speakers to get yet, I haven't measured them yet to know what to look for. I'm also waiting to find out what kind of sub i want to get before i get an amp. So basically all I have going for myself is a HU lol
Thanks mate, it needs a good clean at the moment!! Filthy after the bad weather!!

I'm not sure what's a decent value sound deadening you can get in the States (probably Dynamat extreme) but I've found this stuff excellent value and made a real difference to the entire system:
Silent Coat UK | Sound Deadening Products
I noticed a difference straight away even with the old system and these Focal's really bang now!!

Speaker sizes for the vert are:
Front Doors 6.5"
Dash (99% sure on this but check) are 3.5"
Rears 5.25"

Some cars haven't got the wiring for the door speakers though (just whip the door card off and take a look)

After listening to a friends HQ system in his 900 I'm convinced (100% been converted from thinking I should have more from the rear!) that it sounds A LOT better with a component set up at the front (mids in the doors plus tweets in the dash) then a sub in the boot to give it the bass. He faded the front to rear for me back and forth and it sounded miles better with just the fronts on and rears shut off. I found the time alignment was out with the rears on and it just sounded echoy.

I wanted a SQ system over SPL so went for all Focal k2p speakers & sub, DLS Ultimate Amps (sold one) and then settled on the Pioneer HU as it can run the whole system fully active. Last system was Alpine/Focal with a pair of Alpine SWR-1242D Type R subs in the boot each running off their own Alpine MRV-1000 V12 Amp!!!! But that was way too much bass for me...used to feel sick after half hours bone shaking journey. But they're cracking subs, excellent quality (and pretty cheap 2nd hand, the V12 amps are also very good and great value used)

Take a look on DIYMA Car Audio Forum for some more info/help. Some monster builds on there!!! There's a couple Saabs been done on there as well! Lovely Viggen on there :whacky043:

HTH Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly, it's not so much quality I'm worried about at the moment. It's really just what i can fit in my trunk with the roof bag there. For the longest time I wanted two MTX 12's but then i got the vert and I just have absolutely no idea what could fit back there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you get a small 2 channel amp just for the subs you might get away with mounting it on the back of the seat then have it coming through the ski hatch like this one:
06.05.2006: Interior - photo.platonoff.com

I tried this with my DLS A2 but it was just a few mm too big (with the plastic cover still fitted..he doesn't have one here) would have fit ok with out though.

Then you've got a fair bit more room to fit the enclosure. I'm in a pickle with mine....looks like I'll have to get a shallow but long enclosure as I don't have the depth now for a regular shaped box :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a good idea, I didn't think of that. But then what type of subs would I get and where would i put them? That's my main concern and biggest problem.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thats the problem with this damn roof bag :th_thumbsdownsmiley right PITA!!!!

Must be loads of other make convertibles with these boot bags and still have a full boot build, I'll take a look later as I need some ideas.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
That's my viggen on diymobil audio :)

Jl, alpine and a few othe r companies make shallow mount subs and need a cu ft of space, I would think one of those would easily fit back there.

Rear hatch brace does help. Kinda subtle changes but the twisting is reduced in my 5dr viggen. It also reduced the rattles I had prior to installing the bar. My old amps I mounted between the hatch brace and on the rear seats. My present amps are to thick thus they are on a false floor above the spare tire enclosure.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
:cool:

Thats a real neat job!! Whats the spec on your system? :th_MySaab900Like:

I cant put the sub there as this amps taken up too much room :icon_frown: Even if I cut & hinged the floor I still cant get the wheel out...so I'm stuck with a can of tyre weld instead of a spare!!

Did you notice any difference in handling with the rear strut brace? I want to get mine done but it looks a right ball ache with the roof bag!
Thanks!
Here is my build thread for more details: http://www.saablink.net/forum/car-entertainment-ice/60269.htm

The hatch brace sure did tighten thing sup and quiet down some squeaks and rattles.

You can't use the hatch brace with a vert though. It's already pretty rigid back there. Better off with the 6 point subframe brace.

·
Registered
222 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts