Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work today on wet salty roads I remembered how frustrating the two speed wipers are. Slow speed, not enough wipes, fast speed salt streaks from over-wiping. I sourced one of those VW intermittent wiper relays that work in our cars (can never find them in the pick and pull). The price from this guy was so good I bought 3. Everyone else wants like $25 for them. He still has a few left, so I thought I'd share. Not 100% feedback, but I thought I'd take a chance.

VW Intermittent wiper relay on ebay.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I hate this problem too. Seems like there's 8 million kinds of rain. I'm always offing and onning.

So this is a straight relay swap, old for new? Are there multiple speeds?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's plug-and-play. Just swap it with the relay in the car. That relay isn't the easiest thing to get to though and usually requires removal of the knee bolster. It's up under the dash on the driver's side of the car.

To use it, pull down the wiper stalk to the slow position, then move it back off. When you need another wipe, pull it to the slow position again. It remembers the delay and will wipe at that speed. If you need to change it, just turn it off and when another wipe is needed put it back and it will remember the new delay. Supposedly you can adjust the number of wipes you get when spraying the windshield as well.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the link! Just purchased one. I'm fairly certain my wiper relay is about shot anyway since I have to futz with it to make it even turn off.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks for the link! Just purchased one. I'm fairly certain my wiper relay is about shot anyway since I have to futz with it to make it even turn off.
Done.

Yes, thanks for the link. They're going fast...2 left! :shock:

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, as any of you who have purchased from this auction probably already know, they SNAFUed it. I received my relays in the mail yesterday but only one was the correct one. Today I got an email from the shop owner who blamed an employee who does the ebay listings for the screw-up. They actually only had one "99." in stock--not 10. Supposedly the other relays are supposed to be the same based on a cross-reference, but I didn't try them. I didn't get the email until it was too late to test them. They are refunding me for the incorrect ones. In the meantime, I dropped my good "99." relay in the daily driver today--love this thing!! BTW, don't attempt to install it without dropping the bolster. I butchered my hand for 20 minutes trying to reach up underneath to swap it without success. I spent the same amount of time doing it the right way.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well, as any of you who have purchased from this auction probably already know, they SNAFUed it.
Thanks for the heads up. Mine haven't arrived yet. I sent them a note so we'll see how they respond. I guess if you got the only 99 then who knows what mine will be.

Let me know if you try the others. It would be good if they functioned the same.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Mine haven't arrived yet. I sent them a note so we'll see how they respond. I guess if you got the only 99 then who knows what mine will be.

Let me know if you try the others. It would be good if they functioned the same.
x2

·
Registered
661 Posts
Got an email with a full refund and an apology. Crappy that I won't get the relays but a quick, positive response from the vendor doesn't hurt (you never know how these situations'll go on ebay). Also said he'd keep my email and let me know if other '99' relays came in and that he'd let me have them at half price.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I can get those VW wiper relays for pretty cheap from one of my wholesale suppliers. Maybe we can do a group buy or something like that. $5.00 for New Original VW parts.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There you go!

Mine got a good workout this morning coming in to work. Let me reiterate; "I love this thing".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts