Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the original strut mounts in my 1990 9k as that is the only thing left that hasn'e been inspected or replaced to solve front suspension clunking issues.

I've had quite a few people warn me off buying the ones that Elkparts and PFS sell. I am not sure if I can get genuine ones from Saab parts places here though I am still searching. They are 89 63 282 for the front in my car which EPC says is NLS and replaced by 41 06 969.

In the same vein, I've seen plenty of people say similar things about engine mounts (my 9k has a 2.0 engine and uses the 87 86 006 mount) . When the aftermarket ones are supposed to the same or better quality than OEM originals, what is really going on here? I have two new aftermarket solid rubber ones (same part number, just not the OEM style hydraulic ones).

Craig.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Powerflex poly bushing for torque arm (upper engine mounts) and trans mount. I used solid rubber mounts from Eeuroparts.com with no detrimental effects.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
On my cars I run OEM Strut Mounts - they last..... and price wise, not much more then crappy aftermarket options... If you can find the OEM mount in an aftermarket box, I'd go that route, but I have not done enough to research that info...

Engine Mounts - Polly Upper (Dual) Some run one OEM mount with a Polly for a little give and take....

Lower Engine Mount - I Run the SOLID Rear Lower and a OEM Front Lower Hydraulic (haven't busted ANY mounts since switching to this match)

Trans Mount is the Powerflex Yellow Polly... doesn't last long in an auto car, made for a manual. Worth it eitherway.

Result is very firm Engine with minimal cabin vibrations.

My control arms are all still OEM since those were replaced by the previous owner @ the dealer (50K ago...)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
^ I went through 4 in two weeks. I wonder if its the lowering springs, I have intrax (swedish dynamics RED series). I dont know of anyone else with my issues.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Where is a good place to get the yellow powerflex trans bushing? I googled it and came up with nothing.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A search on drivewire.com reveals there are four different aftermarket makes of 9k strut mount for my year (four makes they sell anyway), which are KYB, Monroe, Mevotech and Westar brands.

I don't know if the Saab OEM ones are one of them, or how the Scantech ones compare to the four brands that Drivewire are listing.

For engine mounts, Drivewire only seems to list one brand of hydraulic mount which is the Peters brand. I don't know anything about those.

BurnSide42 said:
Engine Mounts - Polly Upper (Dual) Some run one OEM mount with a Polly for a little give and take....

Lower Engine Mount - I Run the SOLID Rear Lower and a OEM Front Lower Hydraulic (haven't busted ANY mounts since switching to this match)

Trans Mount is the Powerflex Yellow Polly... doesn't last long in an auto car, made for a manual. Worth it eitherway.
I have already installed PU bushes from Powerflex for the upper torque arm and the trans mount. I have some new solid lower mounts so if I need to renew those I'd go with the same setup you're using - ie. solid rear one and proper hydraulic front one. Not sure where I can get the OEM version of the hydraulic one from.

Craig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts