Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
let's take a trip back in time, shall we?

one of my favorite 'classic' computer games; much of my childhood was wasted playing street rod II on my family's first real computer. i'd do my homework or wake up all groggy on a saturday just so i could DOS it up and play street rod. i recently searched google one night and found it on abandonline and downloaded it. now i myself drag racing a few runs when i am bored on my laptop.
the game came about in 1990 or something, and is a pretty basic concept- start off with $1200 and buy a car from the classifieds. fix it up, race it, win some cash and buy parts to make it even faster. every wednesday night is grudge night and there is also an aqueduct race and a race through mulholland drive. you bet money, even the title to your car, and as your car gets faster, so does the competition.
you have 3 short summer months to make it to the top and beat the king...

...otherwise, you've just wasted a whole bunch of your time!

any one else remember this game? or anything similar?

http://www.abandonia.com/games/34/StreetRod2

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
Um, LINK?!

edit, I found it and cannot play on my 64bit OS. Bummer.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I loved that game! The '63 Vette was the one to get if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Wow, I haven't seen this game since fifth grade when a buddy and I would run home from school to play! Thanks for reminding me, now I've got more to procrastinate finals with! This game is wayy too much fun!

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
I cannot win a race no matter what on the java version I found. Windows 7 64 wont play it.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
Downloading thanks.

I tried using compatibility mode on the exe.

·
Banned
4,388 Posts
XP mode > compatibility mode.

You'll first boot up a WinXP virtual machine using Virtual PC. Install your app in that environment, and it will generate a direct link under Start-->All Programs--> Virtual PC-->XP Mode --> (your app name here).

Launch the application directly and it will run in a seamless integration mode within Win7 but making calls to the XP virtual environment. If that makes sense.

It's how I've been able to get versions of the WIS to run on my new laptop. If only I actually had the version that covered my car :(

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
I don't have HAV so its a no go.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"you just dropped your transmission, klutz!"

·
Registered
800 Posts
I can't wait to get home from work and play this!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts