Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed my Glowshift Oil Pressure gauge and sensor, Im using the Glowshift oil Filter adapter plate and followed Platanofs instructions. While I was at it I also changed oil and at the moment running Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic and wix oil filter, the car has 75900 miles on it and the gauge is reading 24psi at idle and 80 psi at 2000rpm..I was fine with the first figure of 24psi as platanof gets 20psi at idle...but 80psi is twice of what I read everywhere.....could any one contribute to me what PSI readings they get from their gauges and if these readings cant possible be right? This is a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE with 2.3t engine Thanks.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
So I installed my Glowshift Oil Pressure gauge and sensor, Im using the Glowshift oil Filter adapter plate and followed Platanofs instructions. While I was at it I also changed oil and at the moment running Mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic and wix oil filter, the car has 75900 miles on it and the gauge is reading 24psi at idle and 80 psi at 2000rpm..I was fine with the first figure of 24psi as platanof gets 20psi at idle...but 80psi is twice of what I read everywhere.....could any one contribute to me what PSI readings they get from their gauges and if these readings cant possible be right? This is a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE with 2.3t engine Thanks.
Your pressure relief spring might be gunked up. 80 PSI is high, but the pump will easily pump 80 psi with cold oil (so I think the reading is accurate). When I put my gauge in my 99 lpt, i'd get 90 PSI. Once the oil warmed up, it would drop down to reasonable levels. I ended up replacing the relief spring to one from a 9000. It hits 50 psi and I feel like it holds better pressure once the oil is warm.

Unfortunaly, I did not notice the factory spring being mucked up, it looked clean I guess, but still, I consider that too high.

I don't have any good answers, except to say that is all a function of the pressure relief spring. You might try taking it out and checking it out.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Unless you are in the hot desert there are better matches of oil viscosity as the others have mentioned.

When I run 15-50 (Summer track days/dyno on 500hp) in my vig the limiter is set to 3000 until the car is fully warmed up. Oil takes a bit longer than coolant to get warm.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all, I didnt take a car on the freeway to warm it up so it was still not warmed up, once fully warmed up idle is at 22psi and 2000k is at about 50psi or so wich makes sense with 15w50...and its sort of a family tradition to run heavy oil in our saabs (my dad ran 20W50 in all of our saabs since 1970's and beat them to the ground and normally they would become steam engines at about 220-240k mile mark...). Thanks every one, sorry for false alarm ^.^ and I do live in So Cal and it does stay pretty warm here through out the year...

@SaabKid-I read several articles and talked to mechanics that suggest run heavier oil such as 10w40 fully synthetic and above with regular 5-6k mile oil changes and since it has been working out for my dad so well thats what I stick too, thanks for advise though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.