Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am experiencing a notchy gear box. It's a 2006 9-5 Combi. First and reverse seem to be the most noticeable for me. In fact, it's sometimes difficult to put it in reverse. It hasn't gotten worse, but I was thinking about replacing the transmission fluid.

What do you guys think? What kind of fluid does it take and how much?

What else could it be? Is a gearbox rebuild the only real fix?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
how many miles on the box and do you know if the fluid was ever changed?

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can change the fluid and it might improve a little, but overall the gearbox is just crappy. There's a way to shift these cars that just sorta get the feel of after at while. You ask for a gear change rather than demanding one. It's a great way to hone your gear-shifting-fu.

For you 1st and reverse problem, don't sit on the clutch waiting to put it in gear. Leave the clutch engaged in neutral so the clutch disc has momentum and don't depress the clutch until you're ready to engage a gear. Synchros are little friction pads, the gears need to be spinning for them to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies thus far.

The box has 129,000 kms on it and the WIS states the fuild does not need to be changed, so I assume it hasn't.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I recently changed the oil in my 99 9-5 tranny and it really did help some similar issues. Replaced with Mobil 1 75/90. Also, the oil level needs to be correct because reverse only gets lubrication from the "splashing" of the oil in the trans. You may also want to pull up the shifter boot and lube the shifter assembly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In my experience with 'grinding' (is this what you mean by notching?)

It was clutch drag causing the issue, putting force on the gears even when clutch is disengaged.

Basically the clutch was not able to fully disengage thru fault of either master, slave, sticking release bearing, worn out pressure plate.

However other culprits could be:
- poorly aligned linkage
- shifter bushings as mentioned above
- user error :)
- internal failure of transmission, (shift forks, worn syncros)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts