Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if someone can help me? My car was working fine and felt good on the road however I did have a knocking noise on the front when going over bumps in the road. It turns out after failing it's MOT that the tie rod ends were worn as well as the drop links so SAAB replaced them for me.

The day they replaced them my car felt so much smoother, quieter but... I now have a new problem, when I turn my steering wheel in any direction it fails to return to the centre so I find myself zig zagging up the motorway constantly trying to correct my cars direction. SAAB have had another look at it but they can't find anything wrong? I think they realise it's not the same as it was but say it's ok.

What do you think?

Lee

·
Registered
201 Posts
Normaly Caster makes the car go straight, but they shouldnt have had to change anything relating caster, and I don't think there's any way to adjust it. It has happen to me on other car's, that the tech that adjusted Toe-in forgot to lock the stering wheel in straight forward position. So after adjustment toe- in is correct, but the rack is not in it's "middle" position, and some rack's does not work correct if they are "off center". I don't know how sensitive SAAB's rack is for this? One thing you can do is to count the turn's, off your steering wheel, right and left, from the middle position (if your car goes straight forward in that steering wheel position) sometimes you can by doing this, see if somethings is wrong. They might not adjusted toe-in att all. If you have a toe-out, your car can start zig zagging. Did they charge you for an alignment?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Odds are the technician just counted threads when removing and installing the new tie rod ends. Ive found no matter how.close you count, the alignment is always off just a bit...most likely because there is no play anymore and the car wandering would feel worse because you have better mechanical feedback. Id get the alignment checked. There are no caster adjustments for our cars but camber ( with a kit) and toe( which is most critical for going straight) are adjustable. Our cars are very toucy when it comes to having the toe correct. I just replaced all of my links and rod ends including inners and I had to align my car twice to get it just right.

Keep in mind that correct tire pressure, wear and road condition have a lot to do with steering tracking as well. My alignment is perfect but the car still pulls left or right sometimes depending on what road i take....especially the PA. Turnpike, lol..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts