Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I've been thinking about changing the paint on my Talladega and I've come down to this... Steel gray or stay black?

I do love black cars don't get me wrong. But it's such a pain to keep up with. EVERYTHING shows even the tiniest of scratches. Right now the car does have some rust and the paint was neglected from prior owners.

I've always wanted a steel gray Viggen though... What do you guys think of a steel gray Talladega? should I leave the roof black to go with it? or the whole vehicle steel gray?

those wheels to go with this paint?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I think the wheels would look great with the steel gray, and I definitely feel your pain on the black. You could go steel gray, and then vinyl-wrap it (or just the roof, hood, whatever) if you get sick of it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Go Steel Gray, it is my favorite color on an NG900 or OG9-3. I wanted to paint my car Steel Gray but the green is growing on me...

Black does show everything, shines up really well, but swirl marks will drive you insane.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've thought the same thing as you. I have a black Talladega, and I'd love to have it painted Steel Gray. A friend has a Viggen in that color, and it looks great. This was my first black car, and will probably be my last, although I do love it when it's clean and freshly polished!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh definitely. new england ruins cars. i have the typical hatch corner rot and rear fender spots. from now until this spring im going to save up and go steel gray with a black roof. it should look great with my RKII polished lip graphite centers.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Never completely change the color of a vehicle unless your paying to have it done right, which is way more then the car is worth. Otherwise when you open a door, or the trunk or the hood, you will see the original color.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Never completely change the color of a vehicle unless your paying to have it done right, which is way more then the car is worth. Otherwise when you open a door, or the trunk or the hood, you will see the original color.
I agree which is why my car is getting re-sprayed. For his however, it would look pretty cool two toned black and steel gray.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have a steel gray and I have to say it does not shine or stand out like darker colors. I'm always trying to get it "shinnier" but believe me, it just doesn't get any shinier than it is and is way dull when it's dirty. I carry around quick wax and clean after any rainy days.

I think I have issues though...

I'd stay black if the car was originally black. changing colors opens a doorway to looking bad IMO.

·
Registered
369 Posts
current steel grey and former black saab owner weighing in....

I would stick with black. Black is a better color, and it's not that much more difficult to keep clean. the steel grey is a lot more work to keep clean than I would have thought, or maybe I just pay more attention these days.

black is sick, grey's pretty sick too. If black's got the aids, then grey would have the hiv. :roll:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
As others have stated, if you're going to completely change the color of a car, make sure it's done right or you'll regret it.

I like black cars but I hate the anxiety of owning one. Every time you wash a black car you find a new ding, a new dent or scratch.

I love the titan gray paint on my 9-3. Minor dirt doesn't really show up and it looks so good when it's cleaned up properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The steel gray appeals me more than black. Black is grand and the beast would look tough in black but I love the steel gray more. I do not remember the name of the product but just the other day there was a great product on TV for dents, scratches anything. Will have to Google, I need one too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts