Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I DO NOT RECOMMEND KRAMER MICRO! I bought a "repaired" SID and a "working" ACC unit. Paid $435. Initially the guy (whose name will be masked) asked me to send him back my old SID and ACC but I said no.

Anyway, the box arrived 4 days after the order (very good actually) but the SID was not working. 4-5 lines were off and the ACC although it was working it had some kind of glue on it making it really bad to use...

Here is the chronicle:

Kramer Micro Repair to me

thank you for your purchase! We will ship them today.
Can you send us your old ACC and SID when you receive the ones form us?
me to Kramer

Hi, thanks for the email. I was planning to keep them as a replacement in case one of the new ones needs to be repaired. That's why I selected the purchasing method :)

Thanks again, DT.

The issue is that the ACC can't be repaired. What we would be able to offer you a credit for is to use the bulbs and buttons for another ACC that we can send to another customer in order to maintain the cosmetic appearance. The SID unit we can offer a substantial credit for so we can repair it and send it on to another customer. The parts you get from us carry a warranty in case they ever fail, but that is unlikely.
me to Kramer

Hi <name>, thanks for the credit offer but I would really like to keep them.

On a side note, when you ship them, please let me know.

Thanks again, DT.

Sure! They shipped last night. Thank you!
So I received the package to find out the glue problem with the ACC and then after I inserted it that it was actually worst than my own SID... So I sent an email to Kramer

me to Kramer

Hi <name>, I just received the package. Thanks for the swift shipping. The SID is not working. It has broken pixels. I tried to install it to a friend's 9-5 and it had the same problem. When I tried to install my friend's SID in my car it worked, so it's not the harness or anything. So I'll send it back for a replacement. The ACC is ok but the buttons are covered with some kind of glue that I can't remove no matter what I tried. Can you please send me a cleaner one?

The address I have is:

Can you please confirm that? If you need additional information, feel free to call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thanks, Derek.

Hmm. I am very sorry about that. The ACC should have been checked or cleaned before it was sent out. Is it just a line or two on the SID or is it unreadable?
me to Kramer

It's actually 4-5 lines. When I first put it in it was more, then after a few seconds it went down to 3 or 4 and then the 5th was coming in and out. If I leave it for a few hours it gets a bit better but it's always more than 2.

Is the address ok?

Thanks, Derek

Hmm. Okay. We'll be out for the whole week, let me know how it is toward the end of the week and then we'll make a call on it
:mad::mad:At this point I'm starting loosing it... So, I go out for a walk before I say something I shouldn't. And my reply was moderate:

me to Kramer

Uhm, I'm really sorry <name> but no. It's electronics. They either work or they don't. Sure, if I leave it in the car the heat will expand the connectors and that MAY fix a line or two. I had the same with my own SID. When you'll be back next week the package will be there. And I'd appreciate it if you can send me a tested SID this time and a clean ACC as well.

I will send you the tracking number as soon as I ship them.

Thanks,
Derek.

PS: If for any reason you do not feel comfortable with this, I'm willing to end it. You can refund me (subtracting the shipping cost you paid of course) and we call it a day.
Nothing after that. I'm waiting for a reply and I'll make sure I'll keep you posted. If only I had read this post...

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
$435?! I don't know about the ACC, but a BBA Reman only charges ~ $90 shipped both ways for the SID repair with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was $160 for the ACC, $260 for the SID + s/h. Remember I did not choose to exchange them instead I asked to have repaired units instead so I can keep mine.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Remember I did not choose to exchange them instead I asked to have repaired units instead so I can keep mine.
Mind if I ask why? (I read through quickly, sorry if I missed it.)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snowball is my daily and only car. I can't afford having to replace them (again) and not being able to drive her (without SID). So I decided to pay some extra bucks to have the SID (mainly - since the ACC cannot(?) be repaired) as a backup.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Snowball is my daily and only car. I can't afford having to replace them (again) and not being able to drive her (without SID). So I decided to pay some extra bucks to have the SID (mainly - since the ACC cannot(?) be repaired) as a backup.
You can't drive without the SID? I think mine was out of my daily driver for a week while BBA Reman had it.

I have no experience with a bad ACC but BBA did kick ass work on my SID. That's all I know. Sorry to hear these guys hosed you.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
there's a place in the UK tha I used and it was excellent. I have heard bad thing before about Kramer, so I avoided them. The place in the UK replaces the screen with a new design which is never supposed to have the glue separating problem. My SID is perfect and a lot crisper than it ever was before.

I drove the car without the SID in, you just can't use the radio or get any warnings.

Here's the place in the UK.
Excellent, Excellent service

·
Registered
319 Posts
i see no excuse for their not jumping all over fixing it for you, however they repaired my sid in the 9-5 aero wagon over a year ago and ive had no issues with it.
apparently im one of the few people that have had good results with them.
perry

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Done some research and you're all right. It will work just fine. I'm just concerned of missing any kind of warning... On the other hand it'll be in the "Display Info" in the dash but as I said, I'd rather not take any chance.

As for the ACC the guy was right. It seems it's not repairable :(

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Done some research and you're all right. It will work just fine. I'm just concerned of missing any kind of warning... On the other hand it'll be in the "Display Info" in the dash but as I said, I'd rather not take any chance.
Don't all the mega important "warnings" come up next to the speedo/tach? Oil pressure, etc? What comes up on the SID, other than the alarm has gone off and your distance to empty, et al?

Is the climate control computer broken or just the display? Might give these folks a call before giving up: http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category=624

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Yes ACC is totally repairable but not by him he's a scammer.. he just does the old iron trick and tape then sends em back, it works on a few and those people are happy ( for a few mpnths and psot so on Ebay. Jsut google Kramer miocro repair and scam you get thousands of hits, sorry you did not ask here first.

Just the display. I'm actually hoping that the Kramer dude will refund me and try bba-reman (not even in my dreams...)
Good luck. Did he send by mail? send a note to the postal police about a mail scam that will shake him up. Worked for me on a different guy.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There is a fellow in Richmond Vermont that does an excellent job on the SIDs. Believe I saw an ad from him on Saab Central. I'll look for a link, Guy Senesac is his name. He's been doing these for years, think he charges about $100. Guy is solid, and I have no hesitation in recommending his work.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
There is a fellow in Richmond Vermont that does an excellent job on the SIDs. Believe I saw an ad from him on Saab Central. I'll look for a link, Guy Senesac is his name. He's been doing these for years, think he charges about $100. Guy is solid, and I have no hesitation in recommending his work.
Guy did one for me once, it did not last but he redid it but only offers one year warranty.

BBA is lifetime, cost 60-80 bucks and thtey are a big multinational com[any way why not just use them

·
Registered
231 Posts
Kramer is a one man show out of his parents' basement. STAY AWAY!

·
Registered
558 Posts
about a year ago i had sent in my SID to have Kramer fix but just as of late there is a vertical line that's been starting to go. i'm probably going to finda a new place to sent it off to if it gets any worse.

·
User
9,193 Posts
My aunt had her SID repaired by KMR.... she had 0 working pixels before, the one they sent back works 100%. It was a very quick delivery too.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
My aunt had her SID repaired by KMR.... she had 0 working pixels before, the one they sent back works 100%. It was a very quick delivery too.
OOO yeah that's one.

You have to realize its a ponzi scheme, if you are a scammer, you want to do it right once or twice and then you can screw up and steal money

I fixed my own the half assed way he does and it wokred for 3 years and did not cost me a dime ( he uses an iron and 2 sided tape, its the DIY that is all over the boards)

So why send it to a place that uses dielectirc tape, trained techs and offeices all over the world for less money and a lifetime warranty when you can send it to a scammer and pay more, hope for the best with no recourse if it does nto work...

... go figure

1 - 20 of 34 Posts