Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Saab 9-3 Arc Sedan.
REPLACED the starter AND the battery - same thing, when you turn the key, it clicks once and only once, until you turn off the key and back on. The main battery breaker was badly corroded but I cleaned it up. The bottom of the breaker has the plastic corroded off but looks good. Wanting to know how to check it before I have to spend another $200 replacing it. ANY IDEAS????
Please?????

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Check for corrosion around other electrical connections, especially ground wires. Were you pretty good about oil changes and had nothing else odd happened to the car recently. As in, are you sure the engine isn't seized?

Is it auto or manual? if manual, do you know how to start it by popping the clutch once you get the car rolling?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If yours has the little black plastic relay breaker and it's all fucked up, just take it apart, and connect the lug inside the breaker box directly to the exposed stud on the + terminal.

When there is a shoddy connection or corrosion or a low battery, the 9-3SS's just "click click click" when you try to start. Even a battery that shows ~11V will usually be too low to run the starter on those.

Very common issue. Just bypass the breaker box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RESOLVED - Starting problems

Thanks BuHuSPG and DrewP. DrewP hit it on the head. There are two cables, one on the positive side of the black box and the other after the breaker. I moved that last one over to the always hot side and she starts just fine. I am wondering if this will run down my battery but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks guys for your help! Now on to the next problem - know anything about "highlight leveling malfunction. Contact Saab dealer...."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.