Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Car: '02 9-3 SE Automatic Transmission.

You can put the key in the ignition, turn it and once in a while the starter will not turn over.

To the best of my knowledge it's not saying "Key Not Accepted" on the SID.

It has an aftermarket key, and no key fob.

Here are my questions.

1. Could not having a key fob somehow be arming the immobilizer? (Also sometimes the interior lock button don't work 100% correctly, I guess it only works when the car is running?)

2. Could it be the neutral safety switch?

Any other ideas?

It's my sister in law's car, and she just got it... Of course I picked it out and checked it out and at that point everything seemed 100% on the car, minus a few little things..

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, let's add to this...

it will either

1. Turn the key, and the starter won't turn at all (no notification on SID)
2. Turn the key and the starter cranks, but it says "Key Not Accepted"...

Neutral Safety Switch AND Key Issue?

Also, since the key works most of the time can we have it reprogrammed at the dealership without having to buy a new TWICE module?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Try getting another key first.

If you don't have a remote at all, get a used 'banana' remote and have them code it at the same time (or just buy a transponder key), that way you can at least click the 'UNLOCK' button to allow you to start the car if it stops reading the key completely.

I've seen a few TWICE's go bad and just stop allowing the car to start. One of my shop cars did it intermittently and it got worse and worse - re-coding the keys to the car seemed to fix it for a few days, but then it started going downhill again, hopefully that's not your issue.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I told her to order another key today. She ordered a transponder key... We'll see what it does... It's doing it more often now, and even the Saab dealer she ordered it from said that getting a new key and having both keys coded should fix the problem at least temporarialy.

I believe that the TWICE module was replaced because it has an aftermarket key (not a Saab factory/dealer ordered key). Hopefully it's not the TWICE module...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a new key, had the old one reprogramed, and bought a spare key fob... Got it all programmed, seems good as new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts